Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How/Who are you compared with for your percentile rank

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

How/Who are you compared with for your percentile rank [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:28
I hope someone can help me with this question. How how does ETS rank and with whom do they rank test takers with to come up with a test takers percentile score. Does ETS compare scores of people who took tests that day or from that week? I am thinking if you understand how and when the rankings are developed. You could game plan around it. For rexample if scores are of people who are compared in a given 24 hour period then take the test on a day where the lowest number of people take the test, say a Monday. So if you score high then feasibly your percentile ranking may be higher than normal because of the smaller pool of test takers. Just a thought. Comments, answers, feedback?

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How/Who are you compared with for your percentile rank [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 21:02
i'm pretty sure they calculate percentile rank per 'block' of time period (i.e. per a 2 year period). it's the reason why some people with slightly older scores have different percentile ranks than people who recently took it (say, a 750 back in 2007 was a 99th percentile, but today a 750 would be a 98th). i don't think it changes within that block of time (so if you took it on a monday, or a thursday, your score and percentile wouldnt change).

GMAT Debrief

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1990

Kudos [?]: 6440 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How/Who are you compared with for your percentile rank [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 21:32
Expert's post
ETS/GMAC creates a scale and then applies it to everyone. That scale is revised every year or two.
They cannot do it on a more regular basis for a number of reasons (fluctuation of percentiles is one of them, but there are others). We've realized this when created gmat club tests - we update our percentiles annually or semi-annually and sometimes it pushes people one way or another.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: How/Who are you compared with for your percentile rank   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2010, 21:32