Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How would you interpret this sentence?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 17

How would you interpret this sentence? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
The EssaySnark and I had a scuffle on the main Booth 2016 thread (booth-chicago-calling-all-applicants-class-of-151305-20.html) over a mock-letter I posted in jest. I would like to hear what others think of it:

Dear Booth,

Please consider adding an ED option like Columbia's app.

Best Regards,
Re-applicant who will likely do Columbia ED, despite having Booth #1.

Do you guys think the last line 100% implies that said-reapplicant will spurn Columbia's ED obligation if he gets into Booth?

I've since cleared out my posts in that thread to keep it free of distractions for other GMATClub viewers; still waiting to see if EssaySnark does likewise.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8377 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How would you interpret this sentence? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 15:32
Expert's post
Dumb question, does the CBS ED pledge prohibit you from applying to other programs or accepting admission?

Because if you intend to apply to both (Booth and CBS), and it is OK under the ED pledge to apply to multiple schools, then yes, I would guess that you would drop CBS and choose the Booth program.

If you are barred from applying to other programs and you won't apply to booth until you hear CBS ED decision release, then no.

Previously typed up:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
It is a tricky question. I am going to venture on thin ice here but I think you can interpret this as:
1) Had Booth had the ED, you would not have applied to CBS or another school
2) You could interpret this as one will likely apply to CBS ED (unless something gets in the way), despite having Booth as #1 and therefore not apply to Booth at all. However, you may still apply to Booth, should you reconsider your CBS ED decision.

I don't think the it implies that one will apply to both schools. Just says that you would be applying to your non#1 school. I welcome a discussion and please point me if I am wrong but I feel this is along the lines of: I wish there was a vegetable that tasted like steak. Because due to medical reasons I can only eat veggies.

Does it mean the person likes steak? Yes. Does it mean they will eat steak? Not really. Just says the preference, and does not imply the future intention. (again just my view here)

P.S. I can wipe out the ES posts and I considered doing that for a sec but the best would be if you ask them to remove them via a PM (I can delete any empties if needed after).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How would you interpret this sentence?   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 15:32