Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How would you prepare in one week

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

How would you prepare in one week [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:56
Dear anyone

I apologise if this is in the wrong sub-category but this is a desperate post for a desperate situation. Basically I've been lucky enough to secure a second interview with a boutique management consultancy in Europe. However because of a variety of factors the interview is the middle of next week and the agenda has only just been shared with myself today, nobody's fault, these things happen. The interview includes a presentation plus two GMAT style tests! To be honest I feel overwhelmed at the moment after having a look at sample questions! Therefore I came here for help as I can tell after browsing for a short period that this is the place to be if you want to know anything about GMAT.

All I know is that there will be two tests 1) Comprehension 2) Maths apitude

So my question to you all is how would you prepare in such a short time?
- what would you focus on? e.g. weaknesses, strengths
- how would you manage your time?
- whats an average/acceptable score in your opinion?

I understand that im really up against it please refrain from telling me this

Any other info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks & All the best
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How would you prepare in one week [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:43
lastminuteUK wrote:
Dear anyone
I apologise if this is in the wrong sub-category but this is a desperate post for a desperate situation. Basically I've been lucky enough to secure a second interview with a boutique management consultancy in Europe. However because of a variety of factors the interview is the middle of next week and the agenda has only just been shared with myself today, nobody's fault, these things happen. The interview includes a presentation plus two GMAT style tests! To be honest I feel overwhelmed at the moment after having a look at sample questions! Therefore I came here for help as I can tell after browsing for a short period that this is the place to be if you want to know anything about GMAT.

All I know is that there will be two tests 1) Comprehension 2) Maths apitude

So my question to you all is how would you prepare in such a short time?
- what would you focus on? e.g. weaknesses, strengths
- how would you manage your time?
- whats an average/acceptable score in your opinion?
I understand that im really up against it please refrain from telling me this
Any other info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks & All the best

apart from 'you are up against it' - its doable.. I'm sure you are willing to work really hard to secure that position.

first things first, you don't have to worry about the score (yet). A GMAT-like exam is not essentially an adaptive test with similar scoring algorithm as GMAT, so don't fret over GMAT scores.

If I were in your position, the first thing I would have done is get connected to someone who has taken this exam. Ask him what exactly is going to be on the paper/computer - comprehension: is it only going to be Reading comprehension or critical reasoning and sentence correction as well ?
difficulty level, length, format etc.

answers to your 3 ques:
1.) I would focus on my sweet spots. Those would be my strengths and topics that are easy/over-represented - number systems/algebra.
2.) If you want to study from the scratch, go through the GMAT club math book and then get down to business. Make sure you are well averse with formulas and basic tricks that the book teaches. Then get down to questions on this forum.
This place has enough ques. to sustain you for a week. Sift through the questions using tags (topics and difficulty level)

I would never give this advise to a GMAT test taker, but you need to focus more on quantity. Make sure you cover enough areas, so that you are able to blast the easier questions confidently.

If you are not good at English, you will have a tough time building that intuition in a week's time. Read and practice as much as you can would be my only advise.

Once you are fairly comfortable with the topics, do questions under timed conditions. If possible, take a couple of tests.
It is a short time, but I'd still say document your mistakes as you go along.

3.)This test is not GMAT. No one but the people who have taken this test can tell what will be a good score

Wish you luck for the interview and drop me a PM if you want help with specifics.

Best

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How would you prepare in one week [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 00:47
Thank you for your comments jumsumtak, very kind of you to take the time to reply

I'll be getting my head down over the weekend, the local library has "CoverHow to pass the GMAT : unbeatable preparation for success in the Graduate Management Admission Test / Mike Bryon." Will give that a good read plus use gmatclubs practice questions.

Thanks again for the help
Re: How would you prepare in one week   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2013, 00:47