Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

However much United States voters may agree that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

However much United States voters may agree that [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 21:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:37) correct 44% (00:50) wrong based on 50 sessions
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

A However much United States voters may agree that
B Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C Although United States voters agree
D Even though United States voters may agree
E There is agreement among United States voters that

Edit: carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 522

Kudos [?]: 2167 [3] , given: 31

Re: However much United States voters may agree that [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jadixit wrote:
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

A However much United States voters may agree that
B Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C Although United States voters agree
D Even though United States voters may agree
E There is agreement among United States voters that

Dear jadixit,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Choice (A) is correct, and uses the correct original meaning of the word "however." True grammatical conservatives, such as me, argue that this is the only proper use of the word, and that using "however" as a synonym for "although" or "nevertheless" is not acceptable. In this respect, I am more conservative than the GMAT, because the GMAT frequently allows this latter use. It's important to understand, though --- the latter use is secondary.

The original use is the indefinite form of the adverb "how". Think of the pronouns & adverbs ---who, what, where, when, etc.
who = a particular person
whoever = an indefinite person
what = a particular object
whatever = an indefinite object
when = a particular time
whenever = an indefinite time
where = a particular place
wherever = an indefinite place
Much in the same way, the adverb "how" in "how much" indicates a particular degree, and "however" in "however much" indicates an indefinite degree. In this form, as a relative adjective, the words "however much" also open a dependent clause. The grammar of choice (A) is 100% correct.

Incidentally, the phrase "however that may be" is, in fact, a synonym for "nevertheless", but because people are lazy, that phrase was abbreviated to simply "however", and people use "however" so commonly as a synonym for "nevertheless" that the mistake has become acceptable even in contexts with lofty standards, such as the GMAT SC.

Choice (B) & (C) & (D) omit the first "that", so they interrupt the parallelism between the two "that" clauses.

Choice (E) results in a run-on sentence with a comma splice. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences

The only possible answer is (A).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: However much United States voters may agree that [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 00:52
Can someone justify the usage of 'much' here. I think much refers to voters which is a countable noun and hence much is not the right word !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 54

Re: However much United States voters may agree that [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 02:04
hello2gmat wrote:
Can someone justify the usage of 'much' here. I think much refers to voters which is a countable noun and hence much is not the right word !

Please go through the following examples. These are self-explanatory and will clear your doubts.

A: How many pizzas do we have?
B: I'm not sure. Not many.
A: Well, however many we have, we need to distribute them
(Doesn't matter even if we have 5 pizzas. We will still distribute them)

C: How much wine do we have?
D: I'm not sure. Not much.
C: Well, however much we have, we need to distribute it.
(Doesn't matter even if we have a little wine. We will still distribute it)

E: How much do the US voters agree?
F: I'm not sure. Not much.
E: Well, however much they may agree, it is difficult to find support
(Doesn't matter how much they agree. They will still find it difficult to garner support)

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 522

Kudos [?]: 2167 [0], given: 31

Re: However much United States voters may agree that [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:30
Expert's post
hello2gmat wrote:

Dear hello2gmat
I'm happy to respond. The word "much" is an adverb that modifies the verb "agree".
P and Q do not agree much.
R agrees with me much more than does T.
How much does he agree?
However much the voters agree?

We are not talking about the number of voters, but about the amount of agreement.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: However much United States voters may agree that   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 07:30