Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

However much United States voters may agree that there is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 0

However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 11:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
OlgaN wrote:
27. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.
A) However much United States voters may agree that
B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C) Although United States voters agree
D) Even though United States voters may agree
E) There is agreement among United States voters that
Please explain your choice.


I would go with the concise one, C
THAT is missing in B,C,D which is essential to make sound sentence.
in A. MUCH is not relevant,
E. illogical. as it says, there is agreement among voters, which might not be possible.
no definite idea to be honest
any gurus
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - However much United States voters [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 17:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
OlgaN wrote:
27. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.
A) However much United States voters may agree that
B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C) Although United States voters agree
D) Even though United States voters may agree
E) There is agreement among United States voters that
Please explain your choice.


"that" is needed after agree to be parallel with "that the government...". So, B,C,D are out. E doesn't flow since it is a sentence with a comma at the end.

A is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - However much United States voters [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 20:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
OlgaN wrote:
27. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.
A) However much United States voters may agree that
B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C) Although United States voters agree
D) Even though United States voters may agree
E) There is agreement among United States voters that
Please explain your choice.


I think MGMAT's point is this: the use of "may" vs. the absense of it. Without "may", the meaning of the sentence would change (KNOWN vs. UNKNOWN). If you look at all the answer choices, only choices A and D contain "may".

So this leaves only A and D. Parellelism is missing in D, so A is the correct answer.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 00:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
B,C,E -> changes the meaning of the sentence by switching 'may agree' to 'will agree'

Between A and D, A is better for parallelism 'agree that... and that'
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 01:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
To me, "much" is ok in this case since it refers to agreement, which is uncountable.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Posts: 181
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 05:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
However akward choice A looks, it is the best choice for two reasons.

1. Parellelism - Choice A preserves parallel structure by using "that"

that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means

2. Clarity - The second part of the sentence introduces a contradiction to the first part and hence the first part of the sentence should be introduced with the help of a conjunction like "However".
_________________

Regards

Subhen

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 157 [2] , given: 7

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 06:29
2
This post received
KUDOS
To me "much" is a perfectly valid choice.

"Much" is serving as a subject and needs to agree with a verb - i.e. "agree".


IMO, when you want to refer to abstract amount, you should use "much"
E.g. Much was made out of it.

However, if you want to refer to something quantifyable, you should use "many"

E.g. Many were present.

I guess, in SC framework, only context can determine which one we should use.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 07:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
OlgaN wrote:
BCC145 wrote:
To me, "much" is ok in this case since it refers to agreement, which is uncountable.


i disagree: much refers to US voters, not to an agreement. Any other explanations why much is OK here?



But you have to use "many" to refer to voters since voters are countable.

It's like: How much do the voters agree?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 365

Kudos [?]: 1809 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: SC - However much United States voters [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 23:05
Expert's post
Guys, Thanks for explanation of usage of word "much" here.
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 106
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - However much United States voters [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 03:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
late ans but i think it will br effective :

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

(A) However much United States voters may agree that
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
(C) Although United States voters agree
(D) Even though United States voters may agree
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that

This is a very commonly asked question. The reason C is not the answer is that C changes the meaning.
Look at these simplified sentences:
• However much you complain, I will not change my mind.
This sentence means no matter how much you complain, I will not change my mind.

Or, to put it in a more precise way, my resolve to stick to my decision will not wane even if the degree of your complaining increases.
This meaning is quite specific. Now compare it to this sentence:

• Although you complain, I will not change my mind.

This sentence means even though you complain, I will not change my mind. This meaning is pretty simple, and doesn't need any more explanation, I think. So, even though the two meanings are quite close, they are in fact different, and between two grammatically correct and plausible sentences,

we must go with the one that doesn't change the meaning of A.


Thanks
Shobuj
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - However much United States voters [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 12:52
I just read the MGMAT Idioms list, which includes:

1. Agree to
2. Agree with

but does not include

Agree that.

And now we get a question that shows it's okay to use "agree that". Yikes, so confusing.
Re: SC - However much United States voters   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2008, 12:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
However much United States voters may agree that there is Hang Tuah 12 31 Oct 2006, 16:30
However much United States voters may agree that there is chanmat 7 04 Oct 2006, 21:11
However much united states voters may agree that there is navahlawat 8 13 Sep 2006, 03:58
However much United States voters may agree that there is darren1010 12 11 Apr 2006, 23:44
However much United States voters may agree that there is jpv 16 30 Apr 2005, 09:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

However much United States voters may agree that there is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.