Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

However much United States voters may agree that there is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 23:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyong its means , it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towar a minimal state.

OA is (A)

However, i don't understand why we can use "However" here. Does it mean nevertheless?

Thank you.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 23:42
judokan wrote:
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyong its means , it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towar a minimal state.

OA is (A)

However, i don't understand why we can use "However" here. Does it mean nevertheless?

Thank you.

here 'however' is an adverb.

"however" used at the beginning of a sentence, without a comma, means “in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

You shouldn't use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 03:13
Thanks Alpha,

If I cannot use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.

Why it ok to write:
I like reading. However, I am blind.
??

alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
judokan wrote:
[u]

here 'however' is an adverb.

"however" used at the beginning of a sentence, without a comma, means “in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

You shouldn't use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 03:19
“in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

I don't quite understand the exact meaning of these. Sorry, I am not a native English speaker.

Is there any other word carry the same meaning?

Can I use even though in this question?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 02:38
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

explanation for however so far clear - could you please also explain when to use

despite vs. even though vs. although vs. in spite of

thanks a lot
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 12:01
reiswaffel wrote:
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

explanation for however so far clear - could you please also explain when to use

thanks a lot

Let me try:
BUT is used to express contrast that belies normal expectation. “I took the GMAT but did not apply to
Business schools’ is an example of such contrast

ALTHOUGH is used to express POSITIVE CONTRAST given a NEGATIVE situation. “Although I
did not score well on the GMAT, I was accepted at Harvard.”

DESPITE is used to express NEGATIVE CONTRAST given a positive or beneficial situation.
“Despite the fact that he is rich, he is miserable.”

HOWEVER is used to express contrast and is used at the head of a new sentence. “I was accepted at
Harvard; however, I did not accept the offer.”

NEVERTHELESS is used as a CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB to express a contrast. “He was accepted
at Harvard but he was NEVERTHELESS unexcited.”
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 12:05
judokan wrote:

OA is (A)

Thank you.

"However" and " nevertheless" are contrast words.
However - used at the beginning of teh sentence
Nevertheless - can within the sentence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 15:10
goalsnr wrote:
reiswaffel wrote:
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

thanks a lot

Let me try:
BUT is used to express contrast that belies normal expectation. “I took the GMAT but did not apply to
Business schools’ is an example of such contrast

ALTHOUGH is used to express POSITIVE CONTRAST given a NEGATIVE situation. “Although I
did not score well on the GMAT, I was accepted at Harvard.”

DESPITE is used to express NEGATIVE CONTRAST given a positive or beneficial situation.
“Despite the fact that he is rich, he is miserable.”

HOWEVER is used to express contrast and is used at the head of a new sentence. “I was accepted at
Harvard; however, I did not accept the offer.”

NEVERTHELESS is used as a CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB to express a contrast. “He was accepted
at Harvard but he was NEVERTHELESS unexcited.”

Neat, I didn't know... :)....tooomba chenna!! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 23:37
Please, explain to me of ALTHOUGH and DESPISE. I do not understand of NEGATIVE, POSITIVE. Please, help
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2011, 23:37