Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HP Calculator Comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Comprehension of using HP calculator early?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HP Calculator Comprehension [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 03:52
Dear all,

Just less than two months, a new academic term will start and so are you farmiliar with using HP calculator*? I make a poll here to know whether it is necessary to be well-prepared of using HP calculator. Thanks
-GR

HP Calculator: 12C, 17B II+...,etc that would help you solve financial problems "quickly."

Last edited by GMATcram on 02 Jul 2007, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 04:33
What you got? HP12c?

I would put a bit of reading in to get used to it as RPN is a bit crazy. If you have used RPN before you will be OK with all the functions.

I mean, the 17IIb doesn't have to be RPN I don't believe.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 04:53
never had one, nevr used one. waiting till classes start to learn it
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 06:45
You guys are crazy for wanting to learn RPN. Go with the TI BAII Plus. More features, easier to use.

In the CFA exams, the kids with the 12C as their primary calculator would also bring a TI BAII Plus for some of the trickier problems that the 12C just couldn't solve.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 07:19
They just lacked l33t 12c skillz.

RPN is genius. My "life partner" never borrows it due to its craziness of not adding up for her, so I can always find it. And it has retro loveliness.

Another benefit of the 12c is that if you do some serious math power computing, you have time to go to the bathroom before it finishes. The only calculator to have concerns for your bladder management.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 09:09
naturallight wrote:
In the CFA exams, the kids with the 12C as their primary calculator would also bring a TI BAII Plus for some of the trickier problems that the 12C just couldn't solve.

Honestly, I know many CFA charterholders (including myself) that have only used HP-12c (I used 2 of them). We had no problem in solving any of the exams' questions.

Regards
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2007, 22:51
What do you guys recommend for someone looking into IB immersion? I don't plan on taking the CFA but I just need a calculator for finance classes. So HP 10B or 12C?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 00:56
fluffydot wrote:
What do you guys recommend for someone looking into IB immersion? I don't plan on taking the CFA but I just need a calculator for finance classes. So HP 10B or 12C?

HP12C seems more popular with trial version you can find here.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... calculator
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 01:06
I prefer doing calculations in my head. :)

Actually, has anyone considered using a software based financial calculator on their computer instead? I don't know much about what features are required in a calculator, but shouldn't an appropriate software calculator be able to handle the task? Any reason not to do this?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 02:13
I'm just curious about using a calculator. I would not buy one if the course does not require. But it does not hurt if you have a look at it before school starts, so you have general idea about it.

pelihu wrote:
I prefer doing calculations in my head. :)

Actually, has anyone considered using a software based financial calculator on their computer instead? I don't know much about what features are required in a calculator, but shouldn't an appropriate software calculator be able to handle the task? Any reason not to do this?
  [#permalink] 20 Jul 2007, 02:13