Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HR/Recruiter In Search of Eval - Thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.35
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

HR/Recruiter In Search of Eval - Thanks! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 11:10
My profile is relatively uncommon and I've found little advice for human capital folks. I'm struggling to identify just how far to "stretch".

My Profile:
Undergrad GPA: 3.35 (upward trend, 3.6 final 2 years)
School: lower 2nd tier state school (ranked btw 50-80 overall)
Major: Small Business Management (Public Law Minor)
Recently completed Managerial Finance (A) and Calculus (A+) through UCLA extension school (online)

GMAT: 720 (Q 47 - 80th percentile, V 42 - 92nd percentile)

Work Exp:
3 Years in mental health services. Promoted twice, managed 2 staff and innovative outreach program. Left to pursue a more business-oriented environment.
2 years Global Recruiter for Clinton Foundation: redesigned volunteer programs, significant work with recruiting metrics and pipeline improvements, work globally, project management. Managed 2-4 volunteers (college aged through mid-career professional).
1 year Consultant for HR Consulting Firm: hired by 2 previous bosses (from Clinton Foundation) to help build out the newly creating consulting firm. I'm building recruitment arm (strategy, recruitment, partnership and client development), creating structure for the organization, created internship and training program, contributed to numerous consulting projects (including leading compensation analysis and structure recommendation for large international non-profit). Manage intern, will soon hire admin staff.

Goals:
Human capital consulting. Interest to work towards aligning human capital and business strategy, focusing on change management, M&A, and globalization.

Some volunteer work throughout (no leadership). Had little extra time working for Clinton Foundation. Run marathons, distance bicycling, etc. Wrote business plan for a friend's jewelery business, remain as adviser.

Stretch Schools:
Tuck
Kellegg (?) - may not apply
Berkeley (?) - may not apply

More Competitive Schools:
Cornell (2nd choice, have strong connection to alumnus)
Duke
Yale

Applying Round 2 for almost all schools. My house burned down in late July and so I got a late start on my application essays.

Questions:

Is applying to Kellogg and Berkeley pointless? I'm concerned that my lack of demonstrated leadership (all "leading without authority" and managing volunteers) and lack of promotions (steady progression, success in all roles, but have had to leave org for better opportunities) will prevent consideration. My GPA is also a bit on the low side, even with some recent A's in quant courses.

Human Capital folks are few and far between. I feel confident at Duke and Cornell. Otherwise, I don't. I have a strong background in non-profits but that won't play anywhere but Yale (which seems to be shifting focus away from the social sector anyway).

My time is limited due to the fire and so I planning to focus on a smaller number of schools (3-4, 1-2 stretch) rather than cast a wider net. I have a tight story but don't know how it'll play at some of these schools, or how much I can overcome the low GPA and uncommon background.

Do you see me as competitive at Cornell/Duke/Yale? Do I even have a shot at Kellogg or Berkeley, and if so, which one would be more likely to take a flier on me?

Thank you in advance? I've scoured these boards but find very few people from HR/Recruitment. Anything you can provide will help immensely.

-DB
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 603 [1] , given: 30

Re: HR/Recruiter In Search of Eval - Thanks! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there dude,
Your house burned down?!?!?! That's gotta be tough. But good to see that you are carrying on with your plans.

First of all, HR is a pretty good field. There may not be millions of you applying to business school, but that doesn't matter. The ones I have worked with did pretty well. I think that Bschools actually quite like HR folks, because of all the teamwork/leadership that naturally entails (hiring, recruiting, and team-building are all solid leadership achievements).

I think your school list is pretty fair, and if you have limited time, then you should probably just stick tot he list as it is. You'd have probably as much a shot at Kellogg and Duke as at Tuck (maybe even more), but you are right that they are stretch schools, so if you have time only for one then go for the one you like most (I'm assuming it's Tuck). Although I'd urge you to try and find time for that one extra school (Kellogg?) because you never know...

Oh yeah, and always always always include your work in the Clinton Foundation, even if it wasn't that long. It's very very good.

:)

Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!