Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HTC EVO vs iPhone?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 08:04
Okay, so I need a new phone because my contract is ending. I am down to 2 options. I can go to Sprint now and get that HTC EVO or wait until June or whenever Verizon will be releasing the new iPhone.

A classmate has the EVO and the screen size on that phone is simply ridiculous. It's also ridiculously fast.

But it has battery life issues and since my ipod touch is cracked, I need to use the phone as both phone/MP3 player. Hence, why I am thinking about waiting for the new iPhone. Anyone has thoughts on why I shouldn't wait for the iPhone?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
I switched from the iPhone to the Droid X a few months back. While I love the huge screen, similar in size to the Evo, I really miss the seamless syncing with iTunes between the phone and my laptop. There are some apps (like double twist) that help with that problem a bit, but it's just not the same. So if you use it a lot for listening to music, especially if you rely on playlists, I think the iPhone has the definite edge.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
I follow gadget news almost religiously and I would advise you to wait.

I'm excited to see what Apple has in store with the iPhone 5 but there are many other capable options out there. You mentioned the Evo, which is a pretty sweet phone, but there are tons of new Android phones out there. It's been awhile since the Evo has been out so I'm afraid a new iteration isn't too far away. The last thing you'd want is to have the Evo 2 come out right after you buy an Evo.

I'm not sure what your carrier feelings are but here is just a list of some recommended phones:
Atrix 4G, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Pyramid, HTC Merge, Samsung Galaxy S2, etc. (most of these are coming out in the next few months)

These phones have dual-core processors which will be the next wave of new phone hardware. Now, most current applications don't utilize the dual core processor to its great potential but you'd rather have the option than not. (plus, it's usually better for the battery life) If you're looking for speed and the absolute latest, then I'd recommend waiting for a few months.

Also, I'd wait to see what Google will come up with in their new Android OS (2.4 I believe). I'm not sure if I'd go with anything below honeycomb at this point.

So yeah, I'd advised you to wait. During that time you can research the phones and find out what kind of phone user you are. (For instance, perhaps you prefer ease which the iOS does well or maybe you're more of a movie watcher which super amoled screens are good for) First, you should find out which carrier you want. (This will be determined on price, area network, family plan, etc.) That usually helps in narrowing down the bevy of options. (Verizon usually has the most options but it is also quite expensive)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:50
Thanks experts!

I guess I will wait until the new iPhone arrives.

In terms of carriers - I am only open to Sprint or Verizon.

I currently have AT&T and although I love their in-store customer service (compared to lousy service over there at Verizon Wireless Stores), I barely get reception anywhere.

I had T-Mobile for one yr back in college. Tired of their network going down for no reason whatsoever. Then they offer me "credits" for more minutes but how can I use these free minutes when I can't use my regular minutes because their network fails all the time?

Sigh, I guess I am stuck with At&t for few more months ~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:28
since this is an off topic forum:

also, keep in mind that iPhone5 coming this summer...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:34
Apple is usually a quality choice, nink. (although I hate the smaller screen size of the iPhone 4)

I currently own a Galaxy S phone which is extremely light to begin with. And yet, these things are becoming lighter yet also a lot faster with every update. That's the problem with tech these days: it only takes about half a year to a year before your phone becomes old news. Before, it used to be that new phones were a little better than their previous versions but now we're looking at dual core and even quad core in the not-to-distant future. (Basically 2 to 4 times faster)

It can be overwhelming especially for the wallet of those who like to be up-to-date.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 20:06
I am a solid Apple hater but I am really impressed by iPhone 4. Yes I do have one. It’s a really great device! Except for the non-user changeable battery. It simply means every iPhone has about 1.5 useful lifespan. This means you need to buy a phone from them every freaking year!

Yes they do the battery replacement thing, it’s not chap and done in such a way that will make it more worthwhile for people to upgrade instead.

Just because the phone is truly fantastic doesn’t make apple any better than the evil that Microsoft was 5 years ago (actually Apple is worse)

Exam timer app and Film production apps by THS.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 21:05
Just as an update:

There will be a successor to the Evo 4G -- the Evo 3D.

Also, there have been rumors of an expected iPhone 5 release of this summer.

In either case, this would seem like a terrible time to buy a phone. Either wait a couple of more months or live with the buyer's remorse for another 1-2 years. (unless you're rich, then you can just buy a new phone every 6 months)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:12
I'm pretty sure the 49$ iphone 3gs right now is the best deal out there if you did not want to spend a whole lot of money and get the best bang for your buck, i have been an iphone customer since the first release, and I would not trade the interface or the iOS for anything. Plus jailbreaking and unlocking were the best things you could ever do to this phone,

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 07:17
ofcourse wait for the iphone.

Its any day the best. I am not a big follower of apple products as such, but this phone is simply the best. Primarily coz of the simplicity it has, aesthetic appeal of it and there is an application for everything!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Re: HTC EVO vs iPhone?   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 07:17