Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 339 [3] , given: 19

Premium Member
Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I came across this chart. It seems very interesting. The median salary + signing bonus is pretty consistent across the board. It's also interesting that only Harvard and Stanford placed in (or have figures for) all the measured industry sectors.
Attachments

mbatable.jpg
mbatable.jpg [ 266.75 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 05:41
1+ kodus for you!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 38

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 15:29
You mean Harvard and Wharton?

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [3] , given: 5

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
Note about the figures. Not everyone gets sign ons. It looks as if this to just adds them all together. Sure in areas like consulting almost everyone gets a bonus but in plenty of fields its not a certain thing and some companies have different ways of doing compensation. I know some programs that offered 135k salary with no sign on and ones that offered under 100k but with a good bonus. If the average sign on is 20k, then it looks like someone is making 155k and someone say 115k. So the average looks like 135k but in reality it could really only be 125k.

Another factor is location, someone coming out of Duke and working in the south making 110k is probably going to have a lot more free money than someone making 150k in NYC or San Francisco. Dont get too wrapped in the possible dollars you could make or you will drive yourself nuts. There are many more reasons to accept a job than the figure on the offer sheet, accepting the highest figure could lead you to make a mistake you might regret.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 64

Premium Member
Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 15:31
No Columbia?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:36
Awesome!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 07:07
riverripper wrote:
Note about the figures. Not everyone gets sign ons. It looks as if this to just adds them all together. Sure in areas like consulting almost everyone gets a bonus but in plenty of fields its not a certain thing and some companies have different ways of doing compensation. I know some programs that offered 135k salary with no sign on and ones that offered under 100k but with a good bonus. If the average sign on is 20k, then it looks like someone is making 155k and someone say 115k. So the average looks like 135k but in reality it could really only be 125k.

Another factor is location, someone coming out of Duke and working in the south making 110k is probably going to have a lot more free money than someone making 150k in NYC or San Francisco. Dont get too wrapped in the possible dollars you could make or you will drive yourself nuts. There are many more reasons to accept a job than the figure on the offer sheet, accepting the highest figure could lead you to make a mistake you might regret.

Great response. Kudos to you sir/ma'am.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 20:31
Another note about the above information. It often doesn't accurately reflect year end bonuses. I have friends who were anticipating a bonus but got none and then other people got significant bonuses without expecting any. Sure some consulting bonuses are performance based, and not everyone gets them even though they sell it as everyone gets them. Then some corporate gigs often dont pay first year bonuses but some companies do surprise their high potential hires and senior managers running them often have some ability to reward folks. Not a whole lot of open talk about the size but you can tell when some people didnt get something if they were expecting. I have a few friends who are looking for new jobs already partly due to promises not being met. Then some of us suddenly feel even better about our compensation, even if it was already on the high side.

Figure most people work half a year or so...if normal bonus for the company for that level is targeted at 10-15% of salary that is around 10-15k. For half a year or less lots of people assumed 5k was coming there way, especially since some companies talk about that as part of the compensation package. I dont think many people include that in their salary data at school. If a full year is going to be 20% you probably at best should hope for 10%.

Everyone is always concerned about salary...the ROI is different for everyone but it is usually pretty damn good unless you are going from IB to non-profit. You never know how things shape up after several years on the job. But if you look at the median/mean you will probably hit within that pretty close. Some schools publish the 80% range...I dont think its possible to find distribution but the few highs and lows offset with the vast majority being right in the middle. So if an industry/function is paying 120 all in first year then you probably could anticipate 105-135 and be confident you will fall in there. Sure some people will take an 80k offer but some people will get 160...you never know which you will be. However, if 80k is too low for you to justify it then turn the offer down and go get another one....no one puts a gun to your head and makes you accept. There are companies who I know went 0 for at Kellogg last year because they thought with a weaker job market they could low ball and it backfired. People have expectations coming in and a lot of people hold to what they feel is their true worth.

Realistically anything too far about the mean is tough and hell half those people probably are returning to their company or had no clue it would pay that well. Sometimes you luck into something no one else was excited about and end up with the golden ticket...just dont bet on it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 20:29
So if you can make a generalization, who are the ones in the MBA classes that get the low-end salaries at $60k or $80k? Are these people that go to non-profits? People that had no pre-MBA work experience? People with only 2 years of pre-MBA experience? Or something totally different?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 03:11
smkrn wrote:
So if you can make a generalization, who are the ones in the MBA classes that get the low-end salaries at $60k or $80k? Are these people that go to non-profits? People that had no pre-MBA work experience? People with only 2 years of pre-MBA experience? Or something totally different?

I often wonder this same thing and would love to know if someone has any sort of information about this. The more I read the more I think the answer may be internationals who return back to their home country where starting salaries are significantly lower than in large economies. But that's just a guess on my part.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 17:53
I think its between internationals and then people who joined start-ups and/or non-profits. I know at least one person who definitely was on the low side but they got equity in a small start up. People with less experience are much more likely to go into MC or IB. For one its much harder to break into a corporate GM role with only a few years and people going back for an MBA are pretty focused and have a plan (often means MC).

Employment reports often show pay based on age and/or years of experience.

Re: Median Salary + Signing Bonus for Top MBA Programs   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2011, 17:53