Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Huge drop in score 690 -> 600 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
newiceguy wrote:
Hi karishma,

Thanks for your reply, since you posted it here, I have done both the GMAT prep CAT and the Veritas CAT.

In the GMAT prep a week ago I had a 710 (Q49 V39), and today on the Veritas CAT I had a 740 (Q48 V44).

I still don't know what went wrong on test day, but at least it seems that It is unlikely to happen again.

Those are very good scores. I would expect you to get 700 or more on the actual test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
I had a similar experience to yours today. I've focused more on gmat prep tests rather than mgmat because I know they are more accurate. My last four practice tests were 690, 710, 650 and 670. The first and third were mgmat. I got a 600 today and have no idea how. Feeling very discouraged. ESP since I felt great during the test today. I've been stuying for 5 months and it feels like a waste...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
lmariesf wrote:
I had a similar experience to yours today. I've focused more on gmat prep tests rather than mgmat because I know they are more accurate. My last four practice tests were 690, 710, 650 and 670. The first and third were mgmat. I got a 600 today and have no idea how. Feeling very discouraged. ESP since I felt great during the test today. I've been stuying for 5 months and it feels like a waste...

Hey, I cant give you any solid advice, but I can tell what happened to me after I wrote the original post.

First, I took the class right at the begining of my vacations, because I wanted to relax after I took them. And even though my score was depressing, that`s what I did. I took the rest of my vacation (about one week) to rest and relax. Took the GMAT almost entirely from my head. The only thought I gave to it on that week, was a little planning on what I would do after my vacation.

Second, according to my timeline, I didn`t have much time to retake the test, so I scheduled my second GMAT for one month after my vacation ended (so one month and one week after my first take). I used this one month to focus my study on verbal, and that`s for 2 reasons, it`s much easier to improve your score with verbal and it was where my score really dropped on the actual test compared to my preparations. I also tried not to loose the edge on quant, doing some work on it at least once a day. Another thing was that I tried to be more practical, and focused my study more on exercises and on flash cards, instead of studying the principles.

So after that month I got a 710, and just last week I was accepted from the waitlist to Darden. Don`t lose hope, these things happen, take the test again, and try not to be desperate so you can concentrate on your next take.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
lmariesf wrote:

I am sure it is a little depressing to get a low score but it shouldn't discourage you. In fact, it is way better to get a low score in practice and be cautious in the actual test than hit high scores in practice and topple in the actual. After all, practice tests are not black boxes. You can analyze the test as much as you want to figure out why your score dropped. When you do that, you will have some great leads on where to put in more effort. A low score brings to the fore the avenues in which improvement is required and that is the most useful thing about practice tests.

So find out the reason for the low score and get back to study.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
newiceguy wrote:
lmariesf wrote:

Hey, I cant give you any solid advice, but I can tell what happened to me after I wrote the original post.

First, I took the class right at the begining of my vacations, because I wanted to relax after I took them. And even though my score was depressing, that`s what I did. I took the rest of my vacation (about one week) to rest and relax. Took the GMAT almost entirely from my head. The only thought I gave to it on that week, was a little planning on what I would do after my vacation.

Second, according to my timeline, I didn`t have much time to retake the test, so I scheduled my second GMAT for one month after my vacation ended (so one month and one week after my first take). I used this one month to focus my study on verbal, and that`s for 2 reasons, it`s much easier to improve your score with verbal and it was where my score really dropped on the actual test compared to my preparations. I also tried not to loose the edge on quant, doing some work on it at least once a day. Another thing was that I tried to be more practical, and focused my study more on exercises and on flash cards, instead of studying the principles.

So after that month I got a 710, and just last week I was accepted from the waitlist to Darden. Don`t lose hope, these things happen, take the test again, and try not to be desperate so you can concentrate on your next take.

Congrats on getting into Darden! That's great! I honestly feel like this has to be a fluke and will probably plan on taking the test again because I know I can do way better than 600. Did you take more practice tests during the month of study for your re-take? I'm in the opposite position as my Quant score dropped but still need to increase my Verbal as well. Also, when you say "I took the class" what class are you referring to? Thanks and congrats again!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
lmariesf wrote:

I am sure it is a little depressing to get a low score but it shouldn't discourage you. In fact, it is way better to get a low score in practice and be cautious in the actual test than hit high scores in practice and topple in the actual. After all, practice tests are not black boxes. You can analyze the test as much as you want to figure out why your score dropped. When you do that, you will have some great leads on where to put in more effort. A low score brings to the fore the avenues in which improvement is required and that is the most useful thing about practice tests.

So find out the reason for the low score and get back to study.

Hi Karishma. So this actually happened to me ON test day, not on practice tests, so I'm not really sure what went wrong. Obviously I didn't do well on quant but it's so hard to tell where and why I messed up. Do you have any advice on understanding errors on test day? Timing wasn't an issue, I'm guessing I just made way too many careless mistakes?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
lmariesf wrote:

Hi Karishma. So this actually happened to me ON test day, not on practice tests, so I'm not really sure what went wrong. Obviously I didn't do well on quant but it's so hard to tell where and why I messed up. Do you have any advice on understanding errors on test day? Timing wasn't an issue, I'm guessing I just made way too many careless mistakes?

It is hard to say what happened in the actual test since you never get to see it again. Also, soon enough you will forget the questions you got so if you remember some right now, you should write them down (but you cannot share them with anyone including us) for future reference.

Your best bet now would be to take some section tests of Quant and some practice tests. If you perform consistently in them, you should be fine next time. Just keep your cool.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to post a quick update. After a week of depression and anti-GMAT, I decided to pick up my studies again and tried to just be less stressed about everything. After two weeks of studying I took another practice test today from the GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 and scored a 700 (Q44 V41). I definitely think I just choked on my actual test day.

I hope to keep my verbal score strong and improve my quant. If anyone has suggestions on getting out of the 44 range in a few weeks, please share! My major problems with quant are careless mistakes and taking too long to figure out what the question is asking.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot