Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HUGE Recommendation Dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

HUGE Recommendation Dilemma [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 15:08
Depending on my next GMAT score, I will apply to several schools, none of which are usually ranked in the top 15. My biggest dilemma is that I work in a small department (under 50 employees) & have only 1 person to use for my rec. letter (my boss, who will give me an excellent recommendation). It has been my only full-time job for 4 years so I don't have any other recommender except my college employer who I still keep in touch with. The other problem is that the place that I work at currently is a VERY hostile place to work & so people always have problems with other employees (which means I have had problems with other employees as well). In UNC's required essay, it states this:

At then end of year one, UNC MBA teammates evalute each other using a formal assessment instrument. Some of the specific areas covered in evaluations are:
Leadership
Reliability, Dependability
Flexibility
On-time delivery
Cooperation
Openness to others' ideas
Quality of work delivered
Communication ability
Willingness to step out of one's area of expertise
Contribution to team's success
Please select two people that have worked with you as part of a team. The two people can be from two different teams. Ask each of them to provide you with an honest and detailed assessment of you as a teammate, especially of your performance in the areas mentioned above.
In 1000 words or less, please share your personal reflections on the feedback you received. How will you benefit from what you have learned? How will your UNC MBA teammates benefit?

How in the world can I answer this question if I don't get along with certain people on my team (vice-versa)? Unfortunately, these essays assume you work at a good place with good employees, but with our turnover rate over the past year, it's really tough for me to write great essays. My college employer was an excellent place to work, and I would have no problem with a recommendation letter from my boss there.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 17:38
This is probably a gross oversimplification, but I would pick the two co-workers who would give the most constructive responses. Further, keep in mind that the other workers need not speak about you in glowing terms as long as you show the proper reflection upon those comments.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: HUGE Recommendation Dilemma [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 17:45
Expert's post
riteshb wrote:
Depending on my next GMAT score, I will apply to several schools, none of which are usually ranked in the top 15. My biggest dilemma is that I work in a small department (under 50 employees) & have only 1 person to use for my rec. letter (my boss, who will give me an excellent recommendation). It has been my only full-time job for 4 years so I don't have any other recommender except my college employer who I still keep in touch with. The other problem is that the place that I work at currently is a VERY hostile place to work & so people always have problems with other employees (which means I have had problems with other employees as well). In UNC's required essay, it states this:

At then end of year one, UNC MBA teammates evalute each other using a formal assessment instrument. Some of the specific areas covered in evaluations are:
Leadership
Reliability, Dependability
Flexibility
On-time delivery
Cooperation
Openness to others' ideas
Quality of work delivered
Communication ability
Willingness to step out of one's area of expertise
Contribution to team's success
Please select two people that have worked with you as part of a team. The two people can be from two different teams. Ask each of them to provide you with an honest and detailed assessment of you as a teammate, especially of your performance in the areas mentioned above.
In 1000 words or less, please share your personal reflections on the feedback you received. How will you benefit from what you have learned? How will your UNC MBA teammates benefit?

How in the world can I answer this question if I don't get along with certain people on my team (vice-versa)? Unfortunately, these essays assume you work at a good place with good employees, but with our turnover rate over the past year, it's really tough for me to write great essays. My college employer was an excellent place to work, and I would have no problem with a recommendation letter from my boss there.

I agree with Hjort. Ask the two people who will be most constructive. Don't ask the ones you don't get along with. Also, the UNC question asks for you to get feedback from team members -- peers -- not a supervisor or boss. If you had a better relationship with someone who is no longer at your company, then ask that person.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 08:13
Thanks for the advice. The two people that I worked with the most left the organization just a couple of months ago to better working conditions (while I've been looking all year for a new job). I think I'll use them for some feedback.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 11:21
I can't a hold of my old boss for a recommendation. So, I just have my current boss right now for a recommendation letter. What do I do? This is the only job I've had after college (4 years).
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 13:27
Would it be possible to obtain a letter from two levels above you (ie your manager's manager)?

How about another manager with whom you have worked on a cross-division project?

Is there a "de facto" supervisor below your manager who could write your letter?

Hjort
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 13:34
That's the other problem. I work at a small place, so there are 40 employees spread out over 3 different offices and only 4 managers & a director (who I rarely see). So my boss is my manager and in charge of all marketing staff at my job. Everyone else is a coworker basically. Our director may be able to write a letter but it would be very similar to my boss's letter, but more general .
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 23:02
I'm starting to get a sense of your dilemma. In the worst case, a letter from the director would be better than nothing (perhaps not by much).

Hjort