Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:25) correct 33% (02:02) wrong based on 1 sessions
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by processing information conveyed by light. Scientists trying to build computers that can detect spatial relations by the same kind of process have so far designed and built stationary machines. However, these scientists will not achieve their goal until they produce such a machine that can move around in its environment.
Which of the following, if true, would best support the prediction above?
(A) Human beings are dependent on visual cues from motion in order to detect spatial relations.
(B) Human beings can often easily detect the spatial relations among objects, even when those objects are in motion.
(C) Detecting spatial relations among objects requires drawing inferences from the information conveyed by light.
(D) Although human beings can discern spatial relations through their sense of hearing, vision is usually the most important means of detecting spatial relations.
(E) Information about the spatial relations among objects can be obtained by noticing such things as shadows and the relative sizes of objects
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Human beings can see the spatial relations [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:49
ssandeepan wrote:
(A) Human beings are dependent on visual cues from motion in order to detect spatial relations. --> If human beings use cues from motion, that could explain why stationary machines will not be successful.
(B) Human beings can often easily detect the spatial relations among objects, even when those objects are in motion. --> The argument is about the viewer being stationary or in motion and not about object being in motion.
(C) Detecting spatial relations among objects requires drawing inferences from the information conveyed by light. --> Doesn't give any reason why it would help humans but not "stationary" machines.
(D) Although human beings can discern spatial relations through their sense of hearing, vision is usually the most important means of detecting spatial relations. --> Out of scope.
(E) Information about the spatial relations among objects can be obtained by noticing such things as shadows and the relative sizes of objects --> Out of scope.


A for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 286
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Human beings can see the spatial relations [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 22:39
lkothari wrote:
ssandeepan wrote:
(A) Human beings are dependent on visual cues from motion in order to detect spatial relations. --> If human beings use cues from motion, that could explain why stationary machines will not be successful.
(B) Human beings can often easily detect the spatial relations among objects, even when those objects are in motion. --> The argument is about the viewer being stationary or in motion and not about object being in motion.
(C) Detecting spatial relations among objects requires drawing inferences from the information conveyed by light. --> Doesn't give any reason why it would help humans but not "stationary" machines.
(D) Although human beings can discern spatial relations through their sense of hearing, vision is usually the most important means of detecting spatial relations. --> Out of scope.
(E) Information about the spatial relations among objects can be obtained by noticing such things as shadows and the relative sizes of objects --> Out of scope.


A for me.



looks like a straight forward one to me.. A
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Human beings can see the spatial relations [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 14:56
A for me too
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1627
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
ssandeepan wrote:
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by processing information conveyed by light. Scientists trying to build computers that can detect spatial relations by the same kind of process have so far designed and built stationary machines. However, these scientists will not achieve their goal until they produce such a machine that can move around in its environment.
Which of the following, if true, would best support the prediction above?
(A) Human beings are dependent on visual cues from motion in order to detect spatial relations.
(B) Human beings can often easily detect the spatial relations among objects, even when those objects are in motion.
(C) Detecting spatial relations among objects requires drawing inferences from the information conveyed by light.
(D) Although human beings can discern spatial relations through their sense of hearing, vision is usually the most important means of detecting spatial relations.
(E) Information about the spatial relations among objects can be obtained by noticing such things as shadows and the relative sizes of objects


Hey guys, just wanted to jump in on this one. So here we are told that scientists will not achieve its goal until they can produce a machine that CAN move around
So there must be something about movement that improves the ability to see spatial relations etc...

A is perfect here. It strengthens our point.

Other answer choices are not really that precise
Hope it helps

J :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 10:11
A for me as well..
A explains why the machine needs to be able to move around.
Re: Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2013, 10:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by Orange08 9 29 Sep 2010, 13:37
human beings sondenso 5 25 Apr 2008, 19:02
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by AK47 6 18 Jan 2007, 19:13
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by rkatl 6 07 Aug 2006, 18:46
Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by andy_gr8 7 16 Jan 2006, 21:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Human beings can see the spatial relations among objects by

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.