Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

92% (01:54) correct 7% (00:01) wrong based on 13 sessions
Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and
farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, like the establishment
of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great
increases in population
and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a
worldwide ecological crisis.

A. though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests
and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in
population

B. though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests
and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in population

C. though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and
wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases

D. with some protective measures, like establishing national forests and wildlife
sanctuaries that were taken decades ago, great increases in population

E. with some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests
and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great population
increases

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Environment [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 11:16
B
though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests
and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in populatio
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Environment [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 11:33
prasannar wrote:
Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and
farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, like the establishment
of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great
increases in population
and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a
worldwide ecological crisis.

population

B. though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests

D. with some protective measures, like establishing national forests and wildlife

increases

B

"such as" is correct as it is giving example. E and C are not correct because they don't even make a sentence.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Environment [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 14:54
B,

Great increases should be subject of last sentence
Such as should be used to show examples
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 06:52
Here is my thinking -

d and e are out because we need a connecting word such as 'though' NOT 'with' to indicate the contrast mentioned in the sentence.

a is out because of 'like'

b vs c - I can't decide what is wrong with (c). In some forums they talk about c being a fragment. I don't understand how it is a fragment? Please explain how to rule out c.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 33

Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
Option B correctly used such to introduce examples and uses the correct form of parallelism in the second part.. increases in x and in y

population

increases

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 33

Re: SC: Environment [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
akg wrote:
B,

Great increases should be subject of last sentence
Such as should be used to show examples

In options C, look at the elements joined by the word "AND" Are they parallel???
increase in population and in the intensity of industrialization --> correct form of parallelism increases correctly modifies both increase in population and increase in the intensity of industrialization.

AND is an important word in the GMAT. When you find "AND" on the GMAT, pick out the elements joined by AND and check if they are parallel or if they play the same role in the sentence ( nouns, phrases )

I hope the above explanation help. Press kudos if you like my explanation. :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 33

Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 23:20
teal wrote:
Here is my thinking -

d and e are out because we need a connecting word such as 'though' NOT 'with' to indicate the contrast mentioned in the sentence.

b vs c - I can't decide what is wrong with (c). In some forums they talk about c being a fragment. I don't understand how it is a fragment? Please explain how to rule out c.

In options C, look at the elements joined by the word "AND" Are they parallel???
increase in population and in the intensity of industrialization --> correct form of parallelism increases correctly modifies both increase in population and increase in the intensity of industrialization.

AND is an important word in the GMAT. When you find "AND" on the GMAT, pick out the elements joined by AND and check if they are parallel or if they play the same role in the sentence ( nouns, phrases )

I hope the above explanation helps. Press kudos if you like my explanation. :)

2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1063

Kudos [?]: 2539 [2] , given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, like the establishment
of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in population
and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a worldwide ecological crisis.

Error Analysis:
1. Use of “like” to present examples is incorrect.
2. “though” introduces a dependent clause with a subject and verb. “having been taken” is not a proper verb to make a dependent clause.

POE:

Choice A: though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in
population: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in population: Correct. This choice uses the correct idiom “such as” to show examples. “were taken” is a proper verb that makes a dependent clause with “though”.

Choice C: though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases: Incorrect. Firstly, it repeats the same “having been taken” error as in Choice A. Secondly, There is a list here. The entities of this list are, per the original choice, great increases “in population” and “in the intensity”. In this choice, these two entities are not parallel. We are left to ask what “in the intensity” of industrialization are causing the ecological crisis.

Choice D: with some protective measures, like establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries that were taken decades ago, great increases in population: Incorrect. Firstly, use of “with” is incorrect because it fails to establish the contrast that the original sentence presents. Secondly, use of “like” is incorrect.

Choice E: with some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great population
increases: Incorrect. This choice repeats the wrong use of “with” as in Choice D, the “having been taken” error of choice A and the parallelism error of Choice C.

1. A clause, dependent or independent, must have an SV pair.
2. “Like” is used for comparison while “such as” is used to present examples.
3. The correct answer choice must convey the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1063

Kudos [?]: 2539 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 12:38
Expert's post
teal wrote:
Here is my thinking -

Hi,

This is the sentence with choice C: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a worldwide ecological crisis.

In this sentence, notice what appears after "increases and". It is "in the intensity...". This is not a complete phrase. What in the intensity of industrialization has caused ecological crisis? We do not know that. Hence, one of the subjects is not complete. Hence we have a fragment here.

Hope this helps.

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 23:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2013, 23:17