Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 12

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 23:12
Hello Everyone,

I took my actual GMAT yesterday and scored a dismal 560. Here is how much I had prepared for the test.

After 7 long years of no studying, I went back to books in January of this year. Since, I had not studied quant for more than 10 years, I found very difficult to even understand the concepts, let alone solving the questions. So, I joined some reputed local tutorials. The tutorials did help me alot in getting familiarized with Maths again. But during this time, along with work, there was not enough time to know exactly where I stood.

My preparation was mostly from OG 11(all 3 books) and the local tutorial's material. After 3 months, I was ready to face full length tests. I took 4 Kaplan Tests, more than 4 GMATprep Tests(reinstalled more than twice), 4 Princeton Review and a couple of Baron's and Arco. During all these tests, my scored always ranged between 600 and 650 except for Kaplan wherein I never scored above 590 with a minimum of 560. I was confident enough to atleast atleast get a score of 620+.

I was extremely nervous when I appeared for the test. Nothing relaxed me. Well, that showed in my score as well. The score was a rude shock for me. I now feel as if I all I have done was not enough. I do wish to retake the test however I am lost as to where to start from. I seriously need your suggestions on this. Any help will be a great help for me.

Regards,
Nikhil.

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9926 [2] , given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi and welcome to GMAT Club!

Your scores suggest you should have been at a higher level than 560, even not using the GMAT Score Estimator/Calculator.
Perhaps indeed a bad day with a poor performance due to stress?

One suggestion I have for improvement is NOT using OG or tests as the method of studying but rather a strategy book. Though if you had a tutor, that may not be applicable.

Take a peek at this post: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
It is for new users, but may be relevant to your case as well, esp, the mistakes section at the bottom (in red).

Also, take a look at this post as well: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

however, may be one of those "stress" issues. There is still PowerPrep - you can download PowerPrep and measure your results after a few weeks to see if you are performing on par - it is almost as accurate as GMATPrep.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 12

Re: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 10:29
Thanks bb for your suggestions. I surely believe that I had a very bad day and mostly my performance was poor due to stress and anxiety. I learned the lesson but the hard way. But as you suggested, I will follow your advice and take powerprep tests and see what exactly are my areas of weaknesses. I did take a free diagnostic test just to make sure where I stand at knewton. com and my score was 650 Q44. Score for Verbal I dont remember.

Thanks again for help. I will get back soon for your advice.

Cheers,
Nikhil.

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 01:55
Good luck for the next time. I suggestion I found in many place is to simulate the exact test (including AWA, may be also a drive to the test center) eat between the breaks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 03:19
good luck for the next test ...... just read suggestions from gmat experience thread ... you will know wot it takes to get a desired score ...
Re: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (650 to 560)-Suggestions Pls   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 03:19