Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 709
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 05:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the boldface portion plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.

B. It is an objection that has been raised against the main conclusion of the argument.

C. It is a judgment that the argument opposes.

D. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain

E. It is a biased observation of the hunter
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 451
Location: Earth
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 08:51
I vote for E now. Can explain if its correct. :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2500
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 11:54
prasannar wrote:
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the boldface portion plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is an objection that has been raised against the main conclusion of the argument.
C. It is a judgment that the argument opposes.
D. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain
E. It is a biased observation of the hunter


Would go for D.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 12:09
yea D is good, E uses too strong of language ex. biased
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 709
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 18:17
OA is B

Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years-> Main conclusion. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline.-> objection

thus B
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 19:07
I picked A for this one.
I feel that the conclusion here is the bold part...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 20:06
yikes..i went for D..but having re-read the question B makes a lot of sense..

shiksta..my CR skills have gone down the drain..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 451
Location: Earth
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 20:33
Answers always seem obvious once they are known to be OAs. :evil:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 21:02
I am always wrong in BoldFace question. Do you have any tips?

prasannar wrote:
OA is B

Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years-> Main conclusion. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline.-> objection

thus B

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 22:35
bkk, I am with you, I felt that the boldface WAS the actual conclusion of the hunter's argument. Hmm we really need a lawyer or someone to explain clearly some of these answers and OAs.

bkk145 wrote:
I picked A for this one.
I feel that the conclusion here is the bold part...
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 709
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 110 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 01:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
My approach for this question was:

I looked for what was generalized. i.e the opening statement of the paragraph, that was the conclusion. "Yet clearly" were the key words that helped me zero in on B. The rest of paragraph builds on substantiating the objection.

Considering the bold faced statement to be the conclusion is the biggest trap in this question. So I think we should always read the preceding statements,especially in "yet, however kind of usages".

Hope this helps :)

Ask me more and let us all get better at beating the GMAT beast
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 01:38
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

Agree to bkk and bsd! Conclusion of the argument is that there is another reason for decline in deer population, i.e. growing number of black bears. Therefore the bold passage is not an objection, but rather the supporting conclusion...

cheers,

bsd_lover wrote:
bkk, I am with you, I felt that the boldface WAS the actual conclusion of the hunter's argument. Hmm we really need a lawyer or someone to explain clearly some of these answers and OAs.

bkk145 wrote:
I picked A for this one.
I feel that the conclusion here is the bold part...
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 16:25
This is a good explanation prasannar. In the powerscore CR bible they tell us to watch out for the following words, which indicate a "counter premise" :
But
Yet
However
On the other hand
Admittedly
In Contrast
Although
Even though
Still
Whereas
In spite of
Despite
After All

Yet clearly here does denote a very strong counter premise, the main premise being Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. I guess its one of the GMAT tricks that go counter to common sense, but are essential to crack a good score.

prasannar wrote:
My approach for this question was:

I looked for what was generalized. i.e the opening statement of the paragraph, that was the conclusion. "Yet clearly" were the key words that helped me zero in on B. The rest of paragraph builds on substantiating the objection.

Considering the bold faced statement to be the conclusion is the biggest trap in this question. So I think we should always read the preceding statements,especially in "yet, however kind of usages".

Hope this helps :)

Ask me more and let us all get better at beating the GMAT beast
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 206
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 08:12
I didnt believe that the OA was B, as I also thought the answer should be A.

several different discussions state that the OA is indeed A.

11-t25605?sk=t&sd=a&hilit=black+bears&start=0

11-t17921?hilit=black+bears

where is this question from?



sondenso wrote:
I am always wrong in BoldFace question. Do you have any tips?

prasannar wrote:
OA is B

Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years-> Main conclusion. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline.-> objection

thus B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 133
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 09:10
prasannar wrote:
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the boldface portion plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.

B. It is an objection that has been raised against the main conclusion of the argument.

C. It is a judgment that the argument opposes.

D. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain

E. It is a biased observation of the hunter
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 2

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 09:21
A for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 418
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 10:40
I agree that Bold face is the conclusion of the passage. Manhattan says conclusion must be at the last sequence and also need premise to conclude.

Here, If Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. is a conclusion, it seems there is a roof without wall.

prasannar: Where does this passage come from?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:23/30 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 10:42
bsd_lover wrote:
This is a good explanation prasannar. In the powerscore CR bible they tell us to watch out for the following words, which indicate a "counter premise" :
But
Yet
However
On the other hand
Admittedly
In Contrast
Although
Even though
Still
Whereas
In spite of
Despite
After All

Yet clearly here does denote a very strong counter premise, the main premise being Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. I guess its one of the GMAT tricks that go counter to common sense, but are essential to crack a good score.



This thread got kind of confusing because of the post of multiple OA but your original assumption that the boldface is the actual conclusion has to be correct.

II agree that "yet" can indicate both a conclusion or a counter argument but in this case is has to indicate that it's a conclusion.

"Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years."

This cannot be the conslusion and has to be accepted as fact. If a statement doesn't have any word in it indicating the possiblity that it is not true then it has to be taken as fact.
Re: CR 30:23/30   [#permalink] 09 May 2008, 10:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in tenaman10 19 06 May 2009, 10:29
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in mymba99 6 29 May 2008, 16:15
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in Puilunchristin 22 16 Jan 2006, 10:56
Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in okdongdong 10 12 Jul 2005, 03:54
Q2: Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in saurya_s 13 14 Mar 2005, 15:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hunter: Hunters alone are blamed for the decline in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.