Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 20:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:33) correct 36% (00:42) wrong based on 22 sessions
Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food.

A) bison were hunted by the native Navajo, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food
B) the native Navajo hunted bison, using the hides for shelters and meat for food.
C) bison were hunted by the native...
D) the native Navajo had hunted bison, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food
E) hunting by the native Navajo...

It's easy to throw out answers A, C and E because the introductory phase is modifying incorrectly.

My question:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is B the correct answer? Isn't it unclear whether the Navajo or bison is "using"? I thought that using modifies back to the noun and in this case the direct object, bison.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

make each day your masterpiece

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Modifier ? via PowerScore [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 22:42
Quote:
Why is B the correct answer? Isn't it unclear whether the Navajo or bison is "using"? I thought that using modifies back to the noun and in this case the direct object, bison.

Nope, the adjective clause after bison will modified the Subject of Main clause or all of Main clause. In the above case, the adjective clause modified the Subject of main clause.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [3] , given: 5

Re: Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
damham17 wrote:
Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food.

A) bison were hunted by the native Navajo, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food
B) the native Navajo hunted bison, using the hides for shelters and meat for food.
C) bison were hunted by the native...
D) the native Navajo had hunted bison, and they used the hides for shelters and meat for food
E) hunting by the native Navajo...

It's easy to throw out answers A, C and E because the introductory phase is modifying incorrectly.

My question:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

As per mGmat sc guide The verb "using" modifies the main subject but not the noun just before it. In d, they is ambiguous.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 10:25
Expert's post
First thing: Can a bison use hides for shelters and meat for food? Herbivorous as it is, does a bison eat meat? Unless you want to surrender meaning to literal structure, bison cannot be the modified noun, just because of its proximity to the modifier.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3675 [0], given: 185

Re: Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 20:35
Expert's post
Hi @danham17,

When a verb-ing modifier is separated from a clause by using comma, the verb-ing modifier modifies the entire clause preceding it. In these structures, the verb-ing modifiers present either additional information about the preceding clause or the result of the preceding clause. Also, the verb-ing associates with the subject of the preceding clause. This is so because the verb-ing modifiers are constituted from verbs and denote an action. Hence, they need to associate with the subject of the preceding clause.

Now let's take a look at the sentence in question with correct answer (Choice B):

Hunters and warriors, the native Navajo hunted bison, using the hides for shelters and meat for food.

In this choice, the verb-ing modifier "using" is preceded by a comma. Hence, it is modifying the entire preceding clause. Here, "using" is correctly presenting additional information about the preceding clause. The native Navajo hunted bison and used the hides for shelters and meat for food. Also, "using" correctly associates with the subject "the native Navajo" because they used the skin and the meat. Hence, this is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
An important point that has been ignored by many is the wrong use of past perfect tense in D; The antecedence of – they - is not under question at all here in D, because logically – they - cannot refer to bison or hides or shelters. If you don’t consider logic, when you have some doubt a pronoun’s reference, then you will be off the mark.

D is wrong because it says - had hunted -; Hunting is a general way of life and here is no timeline for that except that the tribes did that for their living. It is simultaneous with the habit of using hides for shelters and meat for food. Therefore, you need a simple past tense – hunted - , if you want to describe the avocation of the tribes.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Hunters and warriors, bison were hunted by the native Navajo   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2012, 00:58