Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [6] , given: 3

Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First of all, thank you so much gmatclub.com and all the great members here including by reading whose post I gained immensely and some of whom have been generous enough to reply to any query I had and supported me through thick and thin. For those of you who haven't read my story of the first attempt , here's the link that I had a bad GMAT last time because of my own stupidity.
bombed-the-gmat-thanks-to-a-hangover-angry-at-myself-132128.html

Fortunately, I am happy this time around as I managed to lap up a 740. I told myself today before stepping out for the exam, 'I will kill the GMAT this time” and by god's grace, it happened! :-D

My thoughts :

I think this time I did this well because I had the experience of the last time. On the last attempt, I had seen quite a few questions from coordinate geometry and inequalities, areas that I wasn't confident about. So right after my first attempt, I started working on all these areas.

I think that verbal section on the GMAT is quite challenging for non-native speakers. The GMAT RCs were quite dense and the sentence correction questions were again not very easy.

Reading comprehension
For reading comprehension , I didn’t follow the “skimming” technique because I would invariably get most of the questions in the passage wrong if I didn’t understand the passage. I experimented with a couple of techniques using the OG12 RC(26 passages) and Aristotle RCs(30 passages). So by the time I had finished practicing around 50 passages, I knew what worked for me(reading the passage carefully,overlooking the confusing details) and what doesn't(skimming didn't work)

Sentence Correction
Sentence correction was again an area that I use to initially struggle in. I knew that if I could do a sentence correction question in less than a minute, i could spend more time in reading comprehension. So SC became the prime target for me. I worked on it a lot using SC Grail and Manhattan SC. I realized that the questions I used to get wrong were mostly because I didn’t pay attention to the non-underlined part. Reading the non-underlined part is also very important and I started ensuring that I understand the meaning of the sentence properly.

The hype around meaning in sentence correction
That brings to the topic of “meaning in SC” that the test prep companies have been saying has become very important. That is absolute bullshit I think, just a ploy to be different. Most of the meaning changes in a sentence happens because of modifiers or comparison issues in the sentence. Now if you already know how to check for the right modifier and comparison , why the hell do you need to worry about meaning. Isn’t it very logical that when there will be a comparison error, there will be a meaning error in the sentence ? All the test prep companies, I think, are just bored and looking for ways to find something new to catch the fancy of test takers. :-D

Which material to use ?
I primarily relied on Manhattangmat's and Aristotle Prep's material. I had access to a lot of other material including veritasprep and Kaplan but didn’t use them. Don't want to even talk about Princeton review's material.
I also used the gmatclub quant tests and found them really helpful for higher difficulty level quant questions

One thing I used was that I used one free practice test that all the test prep companies provide. Doing all the different tests gave me a better assessment as relying only on the Manhattangmat tests wasn’t proving very good because of their overtly tough questions.

Okay guys, I gotta wind up the post as I am throwing a party and gotta go. I will keep updating this post whenever I get time. If you have any questions, I would be glad to be of help. I can’t say that how much helpful has been everyone’s opinions, suggestions and motivation been on this website, so if I could do even a bit, that would be great

Last edited by hustler22 on 23 Jun 2012, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 23:40
congrats hustler 22; now you can go get smashed guilt free and sleep till 3pm 8-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 23:59
Yeah go get smashed.congratulations for 740.
What is your sectional breakup?
What was your strategy
for CR?
What was your hit rate in CR in your practice?
Do you have a detailed analysis about your mocks?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 13:03
nice job that is a great score
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:11
[quote="anuragbytes"]Yeah go get smashed.congratulations for 740.
What was your strategy
for CR?

My hit rate on CR improved with them. One of the important things to remember in CR is that as long as you know the basic strategies, and you are able to identify the types of questions, you can follow your own strategy. For example, manhattangmat taught this strategy called making a T-diagram since time immemorial and I never found it useful. No wonder that I have heard that in the 5th edition they have recently released they have done away with the T-diagrams. Oops! why were they teaching it in the first place ,I don't understand but finally they have realized that. Why I am saying that is to show you that know all the different ways to work on a problem but do only what you feel works for you
Intern
Intern

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:12
anuragbytes wrote:
Yeah go get smashed.congratulations for 740.
What was your strategy
for CR?

My hit rate on CR improved with them. One of the important things to remember in CR is that as long as you know the basic strategies, and you are able to identify the types of questions, you can follow your own strategy. For example, manhattangmat taught this strategy called making a T-diagram since time immemorial and I never found it useful. No wonder that I have heard that in the 5th edition they have recently released they have done away with the T-diagrams. Oops! why were they teaching it in the first place ,I don't understand but finally they have realized that. Why I am saying that is to show you that know all the different ways to work on a problem but do only what you feel works for you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:59
hustler22 wrote:
The hype around meaning in sentence correction
That brings to the topic of “meaning in SC” that the test prep companies have been saying has become very important. That is absolute bullshit I think, just a ploy to be different. Most of the meaning changes in a sentence happens because of modifiers or comparison issues in the sentence. Now if you already know how to check for the right modifier and comparison , why the hell do you need to worry about meaning. Isn’t it very logical that when there will be a comparison error, there will be a meaning error in the sentence ? All the test prep companies, I think, are just bored and looking for ways to find something new to catch the fancy of test takers. :-D

This is a really great tip. I've struggled so much with SC, which is ridiculous since I'm an avid reader... thanks much hustler22!!!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 11:16
Congrats! 740 is a great score.
what was your sectional break-up ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 12:15
Congrats for your great score!!
How did you find IR and how did you prepare for it?
Intern
Intern

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 02:26
Zynga wrote:

Got V-42, Q-49. What I am happy about is that the score is balanced. :)
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 09:21
hustler22 wrote:
Zynga wrote:

Got V-42, Q-49. What I am happy about is that the score is balanced. :)

42 in Verbal is fantastic...any tips for us mortals ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 03:26
Zynga wrote:
42 in Verbal is fantastic...any tips for us mortals ?

Concepts-->Practice-->Analysis. That's the way to go about if you want to do well on Verbal or for that matter on quant. Most of the people focus on the first two things and ignore the third thing
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 01:30
Congrats for the great amount of improvement within one month. Which all schools are you applying to ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 03:31
It's good to read about your success! Call your friends up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:28
hustler.. hustled ;) congrats!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 03:46
asax wrote:
hustler.. hustled ;) congrats!

Hehe. Thanks.All the best! :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 02:47
Great to see your story. Had a question. How did you attack Assumptions questions in critical reasoning ? I have difficulty figuring out the assumptions in higher difficulty level questions because they tend to be very abstract
Intern
Intern

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 22:49
I think that predicting the assumption before you move to the options is the way to go . If you jump into the options without predicting the assumption, most probably you will get it wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 00:09
Congrats on a great score. I was wondering how do i go about managing time. Invariably on all the exams I take, I fall short of time on verbal
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
surya02 wrote:
Congrats on a great score. I was wondering how do i go about managing time. Invariably on all the exams I take, I fall short of time on verbal

if you are struggling with time, that means you are conceptually not very wrong. Firstly focus on concepts and then your time issue will get resolved automatically
Re: Hustled my way to 740 on 2nd attempt- 100 points Increase   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 02:57