Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (02:28) correct 11% (01:16) wrong based on 10 sessions
Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck drivers to take a long break after driving for ten hours, but truck drivers frequently do not comply. Since the public rest areas along our highways cannot accommodate all the drivers needing a break, we plan to build more rest areas to increase the rate of compliance.

Hutonian Business Representative: But if the parking lots around our businesses are considered, there are more than enough parking places.

Which of the following, if true about Hutonia, would provide a reason for persisting with the government official\'s plan despite the objection?

(A) Public parking areas are evenly distributed along the highways.

(B) Truck drivers are most likely not to comply with the federal law if the total time required for a trip exceeds ten hours by less than an hour.

(C) In comparison to public rest areas, private parking lots near highways tend to be time-consuming for drivers to reach.

(D) Even when rest areas are available, some truck drivers park in places, such as highway access ramps, where their trucks are likely to cause accidents.

(E) Some public parking areas, particularly those on heavily traveled roads, are substantially larger than others.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by WoundedTiger on 10 Oct 2014, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 00:55
lexis wrote:
Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck drivers to take a long break after driving for ten hours, but truck drivers frequently do not comply. Since the public rest areas along our highways cannot accommodate all the drivers needing a break, we plan to build more rest areas to increase the rate of compliance.

Hutonian Business Representative: But if the parking lots around our businesses are considered, there are more than enough parking places.

Which of the following, if true about Hutonia, would provide a reason for persisting with the government official\'s plan despite the objection?

(B) Truck drivers are most likely not to comply with the federal law if the total time required for a trip exceeds ten hours by less than an hour.

(C) In comparison to public rest areas, private parking lots near highways tend to be time-consuming for drivers to reach.

(D) Even when rest areas are available, some truck drivers park in places, such as highway access ramps, where their trucks are likely to cause accidents.

(E) Some public parking areas, particularly those on heavily traveled roads, are substantially larger than others.

Clearly C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 00:58
lexis wrote:

Only "E" provide a reason for persisting with the government official's plan despite the objection. Hence "E" is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 01:01
vivektripathi wrote:
lexis wrote:

Only "E" provide a reason for persisting with the government official's plan despite the objection. Hence "E" is the answer.

What is your reasoning behind E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 02:33
jatinrai wrote:
vivektripathi wrote:
lexis wrote:

What is your reasoning behind E?

What are your reasons behind both E and C?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 04:47
lexis wrote:

I first went to C since it seemed to be clear to me with the reason of "time-consuming" that can be caused by not having a adequate parking lots near highways. But on second thought, I thought B would be better. B means the lack of parking lots actually affected the fact of drivers not complying the law. E is, I think, irrelevant. And the argument is saying that the reason that drivers do not comply the law is not because of the 'time-consuming" approach to the parking lots but because of the lack of parking lots...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
C is my choice

we need to stick wtih what is given, should not make our assumption.. its clearly says that though parking lots are available truck drives will not go there because its time consuming and more over they do not want to take rest even after 10hours driving(truck drivers frequently do not comply).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 06:46
C for me .
Manager
Manager

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 06:49
Richardson wrote:
lexis wrote:

I first went to C since it seemed to be clear to me with the reason of "time-consuming" that can be caused by not having a adequate parking lots near highways. But on second thought, I thought B would be better. B means the lack of parking lots actually affected the fact of drivers not complying the law. E is, I think, irrelevant. And the argument is saying that the reason that drivers do not comply the law is not because of the 'time-consuming" approach to the parking lots but because of the lack of parking lots...

Still not convinced with B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 06:55
C for me.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 09:33
I see your reasoning with B, makes sense, but we have to attack the objection raised by the Business Rep.

That's why I chose C - as this does it.

Richardson wrote:
lexis wrote:

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 11:44
Richardson wrote:
lexis wrote:

I picked C, but I didn't understand your logic/rationale for B. Would like to hear a better explanation.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 13:07
Another C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 16:01
icandy wrote:
Richardson wrote:
lexis wrote:

I picked C, but I didn't understand your logic/rationale for B. Would like to hear a better explanation.

I see C is wrong but let me just stick to B...
Officer wants to have more rest areas. This is because truck drivers are not taking a rest after driving for 10 hours, the practice that is forced by Fed. law. She also mentioned that the current public couldn't provide enough capacity. Representative said there are enough capacity.

Now, question stem is asking for finding a support for official's argument...what if there are enough places to take a rest for drivers as raised by the representative? Then, the drivers need to find a place to rest. If the total time including the driving exceeds ten hours because of the additional time spent for finding out the resting place, then the drivers are more likly not to comply the regulation. The expression of "less than an hour" seems to provide more support to the choice B. If it is true, then it strenghtens the argument of the officer even after considering the point raised by the representative.

Sorry but this is the best that I can come up with my choice of B.
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 17:24
My choice is C for the same reasoning given by vr4indian
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 17:51
Richardson wrote:
I see C is wrong but let me just stick to B...
Officer wants to have more rest areas. This is because truck drivers are not taking a rest after driving for 10 hours, the practice that is forced by Fed. law. She also mentioned that the current public couldn't provide enough capacity. Representative said there are enough capacity.

Now, question stem is asking for finding a support for official's argument...what if there are enough places to take a rest for drivers as raised by the representative? Then, the drivers need to find a place to rest. If the total time including the driving exceeds ten hours because of the additional time spent for finding out the resting place, then the drivers are more likly not to comply the regulation. The expression of "less than an hour" seems to provide more support to the choice B. If it is true, then it strenghtens the argument of the officer even after considering the point raised by the representative.

Sorry but this is the best that I can come up with my choice of B.

I am not sure how you arrived at the above bold part. I never felt that the total time includes driving and search for parking.

That said the Q is Which of the following, if true about Hutonia, would provide a reason for persisting with the government official's plan despite the objection?

IMO, C does that by weakening the objection.

No worries. I have been there and felt similar when every one else picked a diff answer.

OP, What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 08:01
OA is C.
Some useful explanations raised above.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 04:49
lexis wrote:

(A) Public parking areas are evenly distributed along the highways. -> OOS

(B) Truck drivers are most likely not to comply with the federal law if the total time required for a trip exceeds ten hours by less than an hour. -> less than an hour is a new variable or factor introduced .. however it does not override the second conideration by business rep. OUT

(C) In comparison to public rest areas, private parking lots near highways tend to be time-consuming for drivers to reach. -> this is correct even if private parking spaces exist but they are far away hence this is apt

(D) Even when rest areas are available, some truck drivers park in places, such as highway access ramps, where their trucks are likely to cause accidents. -> this is wrong

(E) Some public parking areas, particularly those on heavily traveled roads, are substantially larger than others. -> this is wrong ,it says some others does no clearly point to private parking spaces

IMO C
Good question
whats the source of this question ?

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 17:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1905

Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 18:00
Moderators, please add C as the OA, so that others will have an accurate knowledge of what the answer is.
Re: Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 18:00