Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [128]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [49]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [29]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Re: Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-spe [#permalink]
(A) and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from that of
Flies does not agree with that.

(B) and apparently this assists flies when they taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from those of
"when" is unnecessarily used. It should refer to time.

(C) which apparently assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in being able to distinguish their own species from
"which" refers to "courtship".

(D) apparently assisting flies to taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from those of
"seems ok"

(E) apparently assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from
Flies do not agree with that. Comparing species with flies.

I will go with D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-spe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
sondenso wrote:
Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-specific blends, are known to be important in courtship, and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from that of others.

(A) and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from that of
(B) and apparently this assists flies when they taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from those of
(C) which apparently assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in being able to distinguish their own species from
(D) apparently assisting flies to taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from those of
(E) apparently assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from

distinguish their own species from others [species]
idiom: distinguish X from Y

distinguish their own species from those/that of other[species] ---> THOSE/THAT refers to what?
A,B,D are out
C --out WHICH incorrectly refers to courtship.

E is my answer

Originally posted by x2suresh on 16 Jun 2008, 07:01.
Last edited by x2suresh on 16 Jun 2008, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
I think GmatPrep sucessful because it can lure you into the trap. To illustrate, many of us, including me, fell in the D trap!

Thanks x2suresh, OA is E!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
IMO E too.

Hydrocarbons is the subject so the last part should refer to hydrocarbons rather than the "way in which fruit flies perfume". A, B and C out.

D=> "to assist" is not the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
OA is E.....

can anyone explain me...what is the difference between THOSE OF & THAT OF
i mean when to use these options
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [0]
Send PM
gurpreet07 wrote:
OA is E.....

can anyone explain me...what is the difference between THOSE OF & THAT OF
i mean when to use these options

"That of" is used to refer singular noun where as "those of" is used to refer plural noun. I am not sure though.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
x2suresh wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-specific blends, are known to be important in courtship, and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from that of others.

distinguish their own species from those/that of other[species] ---> THOSE/THAT refers to what?
A,B,D are out

E is my answer

those refer to species.
Whats wrong with D?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [5]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,Strategy, Marketing
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
noboru wrote:
Whats wrong with D?
thanks

Problem with D is "assisting flies to taste". This phrase changes the meaning of the whole sentence. The hydrocarbons assists in distinguishing the species and not assists in tasting which actually D mentions. E correctly mentions "assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons.... in distinguishing....."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
noboru wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
sondenso wrote:

A,B,D are out

E is my answer

those refer to species.
Whats wrong with D?

It seems to be conveying that purpose of assistance is "to taste the hydrocarbons", which is definitely not the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
i fell for D too....is this a GMAT prep question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Can any expert reply on this one please.....

gurpreet07 wrote:
A. and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from that of
B. and apparently this assists flies when they taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from those of
C. which apparently assists flies that tastes the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in being able to distinguish their own species from
D. apparently assisting flies to taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own species from those of
E. apparently assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
puneetj wrote:
i fell for D too....is this a GMAT prep question?

According to https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/hydrocarbons-with-which-fruit-flies-perfume-themselves-t1903.html, it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u . daagh /

I have a doubt in A and E.

Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-specific blends, are known to be important
in courtship, and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish
their own species from that of others[/b
].

A. and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish [b]their own species from that of others
E. apparently assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from

OA- E.

First I eliinated A because of word "THIS" but in the end--> don't we need that/those..?

A. distinguish their own species from that of others. --> That = species

If we remove "that" then we are comparing ---> species (in A) and Others ...
According to me it should be-

and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own
species from species of

So, to refer back to species we need "THAT"

Can you please help..??

Thanks in Advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u . daagh /

I have a doubt in A and E.

Hydrocarbons, with which fruit flies perfume themselves in species-specific blends, are known to be important
in courtship, and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish
their own species from that of others[/b
].

A. and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish [b]their own species from that of others

OA- E.

First I eliinated A because of word "THIS" but in the end--> don't we need that/those..?

A. distinguish their own species from that of others. --> That = species

and apparently this assists flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates to distinguish their own
species from species of

Can you please help..??

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

I think ellipsis has come to play in choice E or else it would be redundant.

apparently assisting flies that taste the hydrocarbons on prospective mates in distinguishing their own species from others [' species]
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aves is right. "Others" here means "other species," so the word "that" is redundant or meaningless.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
PrakharGMAT wrote:

species from species of

Even if this is what the sentence is trying to say, it should use "those" and not "that" because clearly we are talking about many species.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [2]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
Kudos
I worked hard to spend many hours for the GMAT preparation

or
I worked hard, spending hours for the GMAT preparation.

In the first sentence, to spend hours- is not my intention or purpose

In the second sentence, spending hours is the consequence of the hard work

So choice D is wrong for that reason
choice D says, hydrocarbon assisting flies to taste

the meaning of the sentence is hydrocarbon assist flies that taste it in distinguishing their species from others (species)
'those of others' has an issue; it should just be 'others' - it's clear that the intention is to refer to other species, not to something of other species).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts