Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I agree with OA what do you think? Environmentalist: The use

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
I agree with OA what do you think? Environmentalist: The use [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 21:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

38% (03:01) correct 63% (01:38) wrong based on 8 sessions
I agree with OA what do you think?

Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates
unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to
Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So,
economics dictate that we put up with the pollution.

Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept
from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?

A. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only
one set of circumstances
B. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative
aspects associated with producing that outcome
C. Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved
in greater degree by a different means
D. Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalist’s
position in order to be better able to attack it
E. Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain
group of people actually benefited those people
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 21:19
Kind of wordy, but pretty simple. It's B
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 21:48
I looked around a bit for this question and found links to some questionable forums, so I'm not sure where it's from, but in any case, there didn't seem to be any agreement about the OA. I don't think B is a good answer here. We are asked to evaluate the environmentalist's response found at the end of the passage. The environmentalist is responding to the businessperson, who essentially says: 'the positive economic benefits of snowmobiling are more important than the negative environmental impact of snowmobiling'. The environmentalist does *not* challenge this assumption (so B is not a good answer here). If the environmentalist had responded by saying something like 'you can't put a pricetag on the environment', then B would be a more appropriate answer, because the environmentalist would then be weighing, in his or her response, environmental effects with economic effects.

Instead, the environmentalist accepts the businessperson's premise - that snowmobiling helps the economy by attracting visitors - but responds by suggesting that, by banning snowmobiling, the town will attract a 'great many' other visitors: cross-country skiers. These new visitors will presumably help the economy in much the same way as do snowmobilers. So, the businessperson is assuming that snowmobiling is the *only* way to attract the visitors needed to boost the economy ("economics dictate that we put up with the pollution"), and the environmentalist is challenging that assumption. That's what A says.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 23:24
Thanks Ian. yeah I see E is an equal contender. Can you please explain what I am missing -

Financial benefit will outweigh against pollution. This is the crux of the statement by business spokesperson.

Environmentalist says that people are not benefited because of the noise and pollution generated by snowmobiles. So E should be correct answer. What's wrong with E then?

IanStewart wrote:
I looked around a bit for this question and found links to some questionable forums, so I'm not sure where it's from, but in any case, there didn't seem to be any agreement about the OA. I don't think B is a good answer here. We are asked to evaluate the environmentalist's response found at the end of the passage. The environmentalist is responding to the businessperson, who essentially says: 'the positive economic benefits of snowmobiling are more important than the negative environmental impact of snowmobiling'. The environmentalist does *not* challenge this assumption (so B is not a good answer here). If the environmentalist had responded by saying something like 'you can't put a pricetag on the environment', then B would be a more appropriate answer, because the environmentalist would then be weighing, in his or her response, environmental effects with economic effects.

Instead, the environmentalist accepts the businessperson's premise - that snowmobiling helps the economy by attracting visitors - but responds by suggesting that, by banning snowmobiling, the town will attract a 'great many' other visitors: cross-country skiers. These new visitors will presumably help the economy in much the same way as do snowmobilers. So, the businessperson is assuming that snowmobiling is the *only* way to attract the visitors needed to boost the economy ("economics dictate that we put up with the pollution"), and the environmentalist is challenging that assumption. That's what A says.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 03:23
I also went for E. What's the source of this question.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
Count one more for E.....
IMO, B would have been the case, when environmentalist focused on Pollution problems.
But we are focusing on less number of customers for local residents. In this scenario, I suppose E fits the Bill. :)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
Thanks Ian. yeah I see E is an equal contender. Can you please explain what I am missing -

Financial benefit will outweigh against pollution. This is the crux of the statement by business spokesperson.

Environmentalist says that people are not benefited because of the noise and pollution generated by snowmobiles. So E should be correct answer. What's wrong with E then?

It's important to look at the precise wording of the question:

nusmavrik wrote:
Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?

We're only interested in the logic of the environmentalist's response to the businessperson - that is, the logic of the final paragraph:

nusmavrik wrote:

The environmentalist, in his or her response, nowhere discusses the negative environmental effects of snowmobiling. That's part of the first paragraph, not the third. So your paraphrase of the environmentalist's response uses information that you shouldn't be using. The environmentalist's response is that 'by getting rid of snowmobiles, we'll attract skiers to our town'. So this answer:

nusmavrik wrote:
E. Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain

doesn't describe what the environmentalist is saying; the environmentalist does not deny the economic benefits of snowmobiling, but rather suggests that economic benefits will come from banning snowmobiling, but from a different source - from skiers.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 19:26
Kudos for the explanation Ian.

IanStewart wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

It's important to look at the precise wording of the question:

nusmavrik wrote:

We're only interested in the logic of the environmentalist's response to the businessperson - that is, the logic of the final paragraph:

nusmavrik wrote:

The environmentalist, in his or her response, nowhere discusses the negative environmental effects of snowmobiling. That's part of the first paragraph, not the third. So your paraphrase of the environmentalist's response uses information that you shouldn't be using. The environmentalist's response is that 'by getting rid of snowmobiles, we'll attract skiers to our town'. So this answer:

nusmavrik wrote:

doesn't describe what the environmentalist is saying; the environmentalist does not deny the economic benefits of snowmobiling, but rather suggests that economic benefits will come from banning snowmobiling, but from a different source - from skiers.

Re: Environmentalist   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2010, 19:26