Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I always have trouble with these... does any one have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I always have trouble with these... does any one have [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 11:00
I always have trouble with these... does any one have cheatsheets for how to solve these kinds?

1. Is x less than y?
(1) x-y+1<0
(2) x-y-1<0

OA is A.

2. If b is an integer, is an integer?
(1) a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
(2) a^2 – 3b^2 = 0

OA is B

3. If x≠0, is |x| <1?
(1) x^2<1
(2) |x| < 1/x

OA is D
Director
Director
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 799
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few problems [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 11:13
Please post your questions each in its own individual post.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Few problems [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 11:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
sportypk wrote:
I always have trouble with these... does any one have cheatsheets for how to solve these kinds?

1. Is x less than y?
(1) x-y+1<0
(2) x-y-1<0

OA is A.

2. If b is an integer, is an integer?
(1) a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
(2) a^2 – 3b^2 = 0

OA is B

3. If x≠0, is |x| <1?
(1) x^2<1
(2) |x| < 1/x

OA is D


Hey there..
Will answer one by one.
1) x-y+1<0
which means x < y-1
Which means x is clearly less than y.
for eg y=5
this means x<4 which is less than 5. right? SO, A is sufficient !
Option B says
x-y-1<0
which means x<y+1
Now in this case x could be less than y or greater than Y. I'll show you how
Lets say Y= 5. Now x<(5+1) ie x<6
Now x could be 4 which is less than Y. But, x could also be 5.5. right?
Hence B is not sufficient !
Therefore A !

2) A says
a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
since b is an integer , b^2 is obviously an integer.
If a is an integer, a^2 will be an integer.
Even if a is not an integer(lets say a is sqrt(3) , then a^2 will be 3) a^2 could end up an integer.
Hence A is not sufficient.
coming to B
a^2 – 3b^2 = 0
which means a^2=3b^2
this means a=sqrt(3)b (+ or -)
which means a cant be an integer .as we r multiplying by sqrt(3). right?
Hence B is sufficient !

3)x^2<1
means -1<x<1
which means |x| <1 (this expression means -1<x<1)
Hence A is sufficient
Now B
|x| < 1/x
since x is an integer (excluding zero)
(1/any integer) would be less than 1
Hence B sufficient
Therefor D would be the answer !!

BTW: whats a cheat sheet.m pretty new here :)

Please shoot any questions or doubts you might have !

Cheers!!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few problems [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 14:05
zeenie wrote:
sportypk wrote:
I always have trouble with these... does any one have cheatsheets for how to solve these kinds?

1. Is x less than y?
(1) x-y+1<0
(2) x-y-1<0

OA is A.

2. If b is an integer, is an integer?
(1) a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
(2) a^2 – 3b^2 = 0

OA is B

3. If x≠0, is |x| <1?
(1) x^2<1
(2) |x| < 1/x

OA is D


Hey there..
Will answer one by one.
1) x-y+1<0
which means x < y-1
Which means x is clearly less than y.
for eg y=5
this means x<4 which is less than 5. right? SO, A is sufficient !
Option B says
x-y-1<0
which means x<y+1
Now in this case x could be less than y or greater than Y. I'll show you how
Lets say Y= 5. Now x<(5+1) ie x<6
Now x could be 4 which is less than Y. But, x could also be 5.5. right?
Hence B is not sufficient !
Therefore A !

2) A says
a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
since b is an integer , b^2 is obviously an integer.
If a is an integer, a^2 will be an integer.
Even if a is not an integer(lets say a is sqrt(3) , then a^2 will be 3) a^2 could end up an integer.
Hence A is not sufficient.
coming to B
a^2 – 3b^2 = 0
which means a^2=3b^2
this means a=sqrt(3)b (+ or -)
which means a cant be an integer .as we r multiplying by sqrt(3). right?
Hence B is sufficient !

3)x^2<1
means -1<x<1
which means |x| <1 (this expression means -1<x<1)
Hence A is sufficient
Now B
|x| < 1/x
since x is an integer (excluding zero)
(1/any integer) would be less than 1
Hence B sufficient
Therefor D would be the answer !!

BTW: whats a cheat sheet.m pretty new here :)

Please shoot any questions or doubts you might have !

Cheers!!


Hi Zeenie, welcome to the club.

I agree with the OAs for 1 and 3 as per your working (this is what I got)

but for OA for 3 is wrong since if a=0, you get a^2 = sqrt(3)*b^2
which makes a an integer. As per your working a can also be non integer.

comments please..
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Few problems [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 01:17
buffdaddy wrote:
zeenie wrote:
sportypk wrote:
I always have trouble with these... does any one have cheatsheets for how to solve these kinds?

1. Is x less than y?
(1) x-y+1<0
(2) x-y-1<0

OA is A.

2. If b is an integer, is an integer?
(1) a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
(2) a^2 – 3b^2 = 0

OA is B

3. If x≠0, is |x| <1?
(1) x^2<1
(2) |x| < 1/x

OA is D


Hey there..
Will answer one by one.
1) x-y+1<0
which means x < y-1
Which means x is clearly less than y.
for eg y=5
this means x<4 which is less than 5. right? SO, A is sufficient !
Option B says
x-y-1<0
which means x<y+1
Now in this case x could be less than y or greater than Y. I'll show you how
Lets say Y= 5. Now x<(5+1) ie x<6
Now x could be 4 which is less than Y. But, x could also be 5.5. right?
Hence B is not sufficient !
Therefore A !

2) A says
a^2 + b^2 is an integer.
since b is an integer , b^2 is obviously an integer.
If a is an integer, a^2 will be an integer.
Even if a is not an integer(lets say a is sqrt(3) , then a^2 will be 3) a^2 could end up an integer.
Hence A is not sufficient.
coming to B
a^2 – 3b^2 = 0
which means a^2=3b^2
this means a=sqrt(3)b (+ or -)
which means a cant be an integer .as we r multiplying by sqrt(3). right?
Hence B is sufficient !

3)x^2<1
means -1<x<1
which means |x| <1 (this expression means -1<x<1)
Hence A is sufficient
Now B
|x| < 1/x
since x is an integer (excluding zero)
(1/any integer) would be less than 1
Hence B sufficient
Therefor D would be the answer !!

BTW: whats a cheat sheet.m pretty new here :)

Please shoot any questions or doubts you might have !

Cheers!!


Hi Zeenie, welcome to the club.

I agree with the OAs for 1 and 3 as per your working (this is what I got)

but for OA for 3 is wrong since if a=0, you get a^2 = sqrt(3)*b^2
which makes a an integer. As per your working a can also be non integer.

comments please..


Heyy there Buff
Thank you for the welcome! :D
I am sure I'll get to learn loads from all of you members.
Ans yes you r right
a=sqrt(3)*b
if b=0, a will be 0 which is an integer
and if b is any other integer, other than 0
then a will be irrational.
Hence insufficient!
Thank you for pointing that out !
:)

cheers !!
Re: Few problems   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2008, 01:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Any ideas on this one? I have the OA, but no OE The rigger 6 31 Aug 2005, 14:19
New posts I was having trouble with the idiom 'estimated to be' on jjhko 6 21 Aug 2006, 04:49
New posts I am having trouble with Quant problems wherein the bhalla.sumant 3 28 Dec 2006, 02:21
New posts Does any one of you have some tips on how to practice for axl_oz 0 11 Apr 2007, 02:06
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? geisends 5 09 Mar 2011, 13:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

I always have trouble with these... does any one have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.