Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am a native English speaker, and I do extremely well on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I am a native English speaker, and I do extremely well on [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 07:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I am a native English speaker, and I do extremely well on the verbal portions of the GMAT, particularly SC. I started going through the SC 1000, and was stunned by the number of errors within the answer choices - many of them appear to be poorly transcribed from other sources - and also the errors within the answer keys. For those of you trying to bring up your SC score, I strongly advise you to go through a copy of Manhattan GMAT's SC guide with a fine tooth comb - do flashcards, take notes, etc - and then reload the official GMATprep software so that you can take the verbal section over and over again. Yes, you will see many of the same questions at first, but as you become more proficient, you will see other, more difficult questions coming at you from the bin. I've used this wonderful website extensively to help me with my quant, and I'm grateful. This piece of advice re: SC is part of my thank you to those of you struggling with your verbal score. Please heed my words!

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000 - be very, very wary of these... [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 09:18
uphillclimb wrote:
I am a native English speaker, and I do extremely well on the verbal portions of the GMAT, particularly SC. I started going through the SC 1000, and was stunned by the number of errors within the answer choices - many of them appear to be poorly transcribed from other sources - and also the errors within the answer keys. For those of you trying to bring up your SC score, I strongly advise you to go through a copy of Manhattan GMAT's SC guide with a fine tooth comb - do flashcards, take notes, etc - and then reload the official GMATprep software so that you can take the verbal section over and over again. Yes, you will see many of the same questions at first, but as you become more proficient, you will see other, more difficult questions coming at you from the bin. I've used this wonderful website extensively to help me with my quant, and I'm grateful. This piece of advice re: SC is part of my thank you to those of you struggling with your verbal score. Please heed my words!

Dear Uphill. Thank you so much for the advice and heads up. I am a non-native speaker of English. I have gone through quitie a few questions iin SC1000 and I have not seen any wrong choices so far. Obviously when I say I haven't seen wrong choices - what I effectively mean is that the answers have tallied my expected answers in most cases - and whereever they haven't I couldn't argue with the answer provided in the key.

I do not profess to have gone thru the entire SC 1000 quite as yet however from my experience I have found the answers alright.

It would be enormously kind and helpful of you to provide us with a few instances where the answers according to you are incorrect so that we could learn from those and be wary of other similar errors.

Thanks much...
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 13:06
Good topic to discuss.
I have seen few mistakes as well, although i am not a native English speaker. my weak grammar skills allowed me to notice that.
one of them is this, which i quite often see on gmat Vquestions.

improper use of THAT and WHO

and there are others which i will post later if i can find the questions.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 13:28
I find SC1000 incorrect some of the time. It's good practise to prepare speed-wise, but definately do OG with explanations before the real thing to think like the test writers
  [#permalink] 03 Oct 2007, 13:28