Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am a newcomer, especially for GMAT. I have done some tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I am a newcomer, especially for GMAT. I have done some tests [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2009, 22:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:06) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
I am a newcomer, especially for GMAT. I have done some tests but in the part Sentence Correction, I couldn't understand why I did wrong. To my knowledge, my questions seem to be time-consuming to some people, however, you are willing to help me explain them, I believe.
Here are some my sentences:
1.The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

and the correct answer is:
In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
My matter here is: Why we have to use introductory modifier rather than the original sentence?

2. The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is defended by those who own the film rights, for the process can mean increased revenues for them; many others in the film industry, however, contend that the technique degrades major works art, which they liken to putting lipstick on a Greek statue.
and the correct answer is:
likening it to putting lipstick on a Greek statue.
I don't know why I can't use: which they liken to putting lipstick on a Greek statue.

3. Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as 3 Sanskrit scholar ans culminated in virtually every honor that European government and learned societies could bestow.
The answer: Muller's career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as.

Thank you for spending your precious time viewing my post. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can anybody help me? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 03:09
1. Because that's the way it is, the modifier modifies the sentence - it shouldn't be coming in the end, it needs to come in the beginning.

2. Use of "which" is wrong, and "to liken" doesn't match with "putting lipstick"

3. Noun "career" should preceed the verb "began"

Others can add what they want to.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can anybody help me? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 20:45
Can you show me the standard written English, tharunv? Thks lots! :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can anybody help me? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 20:48
GMAT English has its own tones - I think the explanations in the Official Guide version 11 should help you with the various problems that you face.
Re: Can anybody help me?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2009, 20:48