Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 07 Jul 2015, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am confused between the following two sentences He

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 37

I am confused between the following two sentences He [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 18:52
I am confused between the following two sentences

He appreciated the student's progress in Maths, but ignored what was made in English.
He appreciated the student's progress in Maths, but ignored that in English.

Which of the above two is correct usage per GMAT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crick
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 317

Kudos [?]: 2361 [2] , given: 254

Re: SC Doubt : "what was made in" vs "that in" [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let is apply a small pronoun test to find the difference. A pronoun should be logically replaced by the noun it stands for.
1.He appreciated the student's progress in Maths, but ignored what was made in
English.
Here the pronoun ‘what’ stands for progress; try to replace ‘what’ with progress. The resultant structure will be ‘While he appreciated a noun, he ignored a clause. Is it logical and parallel?

2.He appreciated the student's progress in Maths, but ignored that in English.
Here ‘that’ also stands for progress and is perfectly replacable, because you apprpeciated a noun in the first place and ignored a noun in the second place. Perfect foil.

This is only to say that 'what and that' may not be interchangeable after all.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 2

Re: SC Doubt : "what was made in" vs "that in" [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Daagh is right as far as he pursues this. The credited answer must make sense if you replace the pronoun with its antecedent. He is also correct that "the student's progress was made in English" is a clause, and so not parallel with "the student's progress in Maths" (though the GMAT is American, and so would use "math").

That's not the only problem with your first option, though. Notice that even if you drop the word "was," so that substitution of the antecedent yields a fine sentence, "what" would still be wrong. Why? Frankly, the grammatical reasons are probably too abstruse to bother about, so I'd just treat this as a diction/idiom-ish question, and say "trust your ear," which advice I almost never give.

In case you're in the mood for abstruse grammatical issues, though... "What" is not an ordinary pronoun like it, it's, they, them, their; nor a relative pronoun, like that, which, , who, whom, when, where; nor even a demonstrative pronoun like this, that, these, those.

Huh? Well, let me give a slightly technical account, and then a simple bottom line.

The slightly technical account: "what" is usually used as what is called an "interrogative pronoun." You use it to ask questions ("What should we order for lunch?") or to describe questions ("Find out what the special at Los Cantaros is.") I believe that I have seen the interrogative "what" used on the GMAT SC in the latter way, but never in a contested part of the question. So we probably don't need to worry about that.

"What" can also be used in some circumstances in which "that which" or "the thing(s) that" would be grammatically correct but awkward ("What I like even better than the sopa is the birria.") I have seen the "what" used on the GMAT SC in this way, but not in a contested part of the question. So we probably don't need to worry about that.

"What" does a few additional jobs in Standard Written English, but those jobs are even less relevant to the GMAT.

The simple bottom line: if the real GMAT gives you a choice between some other pronoun and "what", choose the other pronoun, unless your ear demands otherwise. If you have a terrible ear for this sort of thing, look for some other split first.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by MichaelS on 07 Mar 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

Re: SC Doubt : "what was made in" vs "that in" [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 16:00
Nice explanation by daagh .. Sentence 1 looks a bit aqward and wordy compared to sentence 2 which is concise and correct.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 37

Re: SC Doubt : "what was made in" vs "that in" [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 17:31
Thanks daagh and MichaelS for the explanations.

There is one small clarification. Per Michael's post, "what" would actually stand for "the progress that" and not just "progress".

But i got the overall message.

To check for pronoun, replace it with its intended noun and see if the resultant sentence makes sense.

When the only difference between two choices is "what" and "other logical pronoun", choose the latter unless it sounds very awkward.

Crick
Re: SC Doubt : "what was made in" vs "that in"   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2012, 17:31