Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:56
My options for specialization are:
1. Marketing
2. HR Management
3. Management science and system
4. Finance
5. General Management
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8791 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 10:53
Expert's post
Huh. Interesting. It is obvioulsy up to you but I don't think anyone cares from the standpoint of what your resume/diploma says.

If this involves a certain group of classes/courses - I would pick the best professors and what's of most interest to me (look at the classes). However, I would not subject myself to torture to get one or another concentration/specialization. What matters the most is can you find a job after graduation and what will help you with that?

It is really what you want to have your diploma say so that if you are switching industries and going from Finance to Marketing or General Management, you can claim on your resume that your MBA is in Marketing and therefore they should pick you.

P.S. Nobody ever cared to check or even know my GPA from BSchool or what concentration it was in.
Though most of my bosses have not had an MBA so they were very impressed with my resume to start with.

PPS Many schools do not have a concentration

PPPS Some schools will ask you what you want your concentration to say :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 00:00
manjunair wrote:
1. Marketing
2. HR Management
4. Finance
5. General Management

Hi manju,
It depends on you what you want to opt for as BB said. If you want to know competition in these fields then all fields are competitive. We need finance people more these day who will help India in degradation of value of rupee. You can opt for finance and marketing as these fields have huge scope in research and economy.
you can follow this link about tips while choosing for specialization in MBA or distance MBA
Source: aiuniv.edu/Student-Life/Blog/October-2012/5-Tips-For-Selecting-An-MBA-Specialization

Thanks and Regards,
Einsedu
Intern
Intern

Re: I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 04:34
Einsedu wrote:
manjunair wrote:
1. Marketing
2. HR Management
4. Finance
5. General Management

Hi manju,
It depends on you what you want to opt for as BB said. If you want to know competition in these fields then all fields are competitive. We need finance people more these day who will help India in degradation of value of rupee. You can opt for finance and marketing as these fields have huge scope in research and economy.
you can follow this link about tips while choosing for specialization in MBA or distance MBA
Source: aiuniv.edu/Student-Life/Blog/October-2012/5-Tips-For-Selecting-An-MBA-Specialization

Thanks and Regards,
Einsedu

Hi Einsedu,
I have gone through link you provided and have went for counseling by Einsedu.in
Experts help me to come to a decision about what exactly I am comfortable with.
I have opt for Finance
Thanks a ton
Re: I Am Confused On Which Specialization I Choose In MBA ?   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2013, 04:34