Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am currently practising some critical reasoning questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

I am currently practising some critical reasoning questions [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 07:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
I am currently practising some critical reasoning questions and I found one for which I answered wrongly and couldn't understand the answer at all. Hope someone else here has better luck!

Here it is:

As a promotional experiment, Omega Company distributes four million catalogs. In one of the two versions of the catalog, the description of each item for sale mentioned a "Made by Hand" label. The number of purchases from consumers receiving that catalog was twenty percent greater than the number of purchases from consumers receiving a catalog that did not mention the label. Thus, the mention of the label stimulated sales.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used to challenge the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Consumers receiving the catalog mentioning the label had previously purchased items from Omega Company by mail but consumers receiving the other catalog had not.

(B) Surveys showed that consumers returned purchased items to Omega Company during the promotional campaign at the same rate regardless of which catalog they received.

(C) The number of purchases from Omega Company declined substantially after the promotional campaign was completed.

(D) Omega Company mailed three times as many catalogs that did not mention the "Made by Hand" label as catalogs that did mention the label.

(E) Omega Company sold twenty percent fewer items during the year of the promotional campaign than it had during the previous year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 07:42
A
Intern
Intern

Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 07:44
What is your reasoning behind choosing "A" ? :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 07:48
(A) Consumers receiving the catalog mentioning the label had previously purchased items from Omega Company by mail but consumers receiving the other catalog had not - they might have bought because of previous favorable experience with the Omega products and not because of hand label
Intern
Intern

Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 08:04
Hmm. Thanks. This was really too close to call for me...I choose E because it said that the company sold 20% fewer items...I guess I was misled there.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1785 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 08:15
Expert's post
A

As a promotional experiment, Omega Company distributes four million catalogs. In one of the two versions of the catalog, the description of each item for sale mentioned a "Made by Hand" label. The number of purchases from consumers receiving that catalog was twenty percent greater than the number of purchases from consumers receiving a catalog that did not mention the label. Thus, the mention of the label stimulated sales.

the first assumption: the number of catalogs with "Made by Hand" labels is the same or fever than the number of catalogs without "Made by Hand" labels.

the second assumption: The group of consumers that received catalogs with "Made by Hand" labels is not differ from the group of consumers that received catalogs without "Made by Hand" labels.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used to challenge the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Consumers receiving the catalog mentioning the label had previously purchased items from Omega Company by mail but consumers receiving the other catalog had not. - the second assumption.

(B) Surveys showed that consumers returned purchased items to Omega Company during the promotional campaign at the same rate regardless of which catalog they received. - there is no difference between catalogs.

(C) The number of purchases from Omega Company declined substantially after the promotional campaign was completed. - there is no difference between catalogs.

(D) Omega Company mailed three times as many catalogs that did not mention the "Made by Hand" label as catalogs that did mention the label. - it strengthens the argument.

(E) Omega Company sold twenty percent fewer items during the year of the promotional campaign than it had during the previous year. - there is no difference between catalogs.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 17:30
i would say A, as already mentioned.

if the customers receiving the made by hand catalog were already more likely to purchase items due to their history, then we cannot say for sure that the increased occurance of sales was due to the label only.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR "Made by Hand" label [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 01:09
The answer is indeed A. Thanks all for contributing! I finally understand :-D

To VP, in your second assumption, when you say that "The group of consumers that received catalogs with "Made by Hand" labels is not differ from the group of consumers that received catalogs without "Made by Hand" labels.", could you clarify what you mean by "not differ"?

At first, I took the phrase "not differ" to mean that both groups are the same i.e. the group that received the catalogs with labels also received the catalogs without labels. But now I realise you actually probably meant that the two groups had the same opinion of the items for sale. And (A) shows that the group that received the catalog with the label may actually NOT have the same opinion i.e. they were influenced by their past purchases. Therefore (A) challenges the conclusion.

Hope I did not get my reasoning wrong. Please feel free to correct me if I've totally gone off tangent!
Re: CR "Made by Hand" label   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2008, 01:09