Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am displeased to inform you..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I am displeased to inform you.. [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 11:15
That I got a 610 today (42Q,33V). This is my third time taking this darn test. I got 610 (44Q, 31V) back in November of '04 and a 640 (44Q,34V) in June this year, so yes I did go down in score. Argh! Obviously I am frustrated because I have prepared so hard for this. I have taken just about every practices test and I have even taken a prep course. I don't know what to do from here. Here is what I have been getting on my practice test:

PP1 760 (After OG, 730 before)
PP2 750 (after OG, 710 before)
All the Kapaln tests have been between 580-640 (diag 620)
800score : 640,690, 690.

Needless to say I have been doing fairly well on the practice exams. I don't use an error log per se, but I have mental one that I go over.

I really want to go to a top school, but with my scores that is not an option. I must admit that I was very nervous to take this test today. I was rattled easily, more so than the others and I did not feel good about it at all, but I accepted the score anyway. I am thinking about taking it in a month. In the meantime relax and enjoy life for a couple weeks and then hit the books again. What do you guys thinks? Any advice?

BTW, everyone on this board has been so helpful with my questions. All I wished for was a great score to relay to everyone today so that I can give my GMAT studying advice to those who wanted it. Someday I will be able to help this board.

Christopher Wilson

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 16:18
Chris,

Regardless of the fact that your score went down a little, most b-schools will accept your highest score (the 640) which isn`t too shabby. I also recently took the test after over 8 months of faithful daily practice and, like yourself, challenged nearly every practice test on the market, only to receive a 570. Check out my thread a few lines down from your`s titled "mortified by a low score...."

As frustrating as it may seem, I have come to the conclusion that taking multiple practice tests and doing thousands of problems may not be the solution to a big score increase. A veteran GMAT friend who scored a 740 reccommended going back over texts and reviewing previous tests focusing solely on the difficult or missed problems. This may seem like a gruelling, painstaking process, but read the explanations thoroughly until you are absolutely convinced why the correct answer is correct and the incorrect answers are wrong. Keep a notebook or journal and categorize the problem types that are difficult for you- then practice them until they become second nature.

Application deadlines for fall 06 are approaching fast, but I wouldn`t suggest you compromise your chances of admission to a top school with a slighly low score unless you can make up for it with something else (stellar work experience, solid GPA, community service, etc...). Hang in there, take a few days off, revamp, and get right back on top it. Two weeks away will make your mind stale.

Ultimately, if you convince yourself that you will do whatever it takes to score a 700, coupled with focused review and the desire to transcend to the next level, you can and will succeed. I`m behind you all the way!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 16:34
chriswil2005,
I understand how you feel. Don't let this test lower your spirits. If I may suggest some things you...

1. Definetely keep an error log. Do not trust your mental one

2. Practice by mimicing the real test. That is no breaks while in the middle of a section

3. Try to understand the reasoning behind the correct answers. It doesn't matter how much time you take initially to solve questions. It is important to understand the concepts.

4. Go slow on first few questions in the real test

Praveen

Manager
Manager

Thanks [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2005, 03:59
Thank you all for the encouragement. It really helps. My issue is that I know that material well. I do well on the all my practice tests (I mimic the real ones with no breaks, etc) and I was very confident, but I just get those test-day jitters. Does anyone have any suggestions to help that? Overall, my problem for me is that I have a sub-par undergraduate GPA. but everything else is fine. Thanks again all.

Christopher Wilson

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 11:28
chriswil2005,
If you want my advice, do the practise test along with the AWA - i.e. do not skip the two AWA sections. You will see the difference.

spiderman_xx
Manager
Manager

Thanks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 12:05
spiderman. Thanks for the advice. However, I do take the AWA portion with all my practice tests. I just get really nervous when it comes to the real thing. I forgot to mention in my first post that I got over 700 on all my Princeton Review practice test (took the AWA with each of them). All in all, I get great practice test scores because I know it is not the real thing. I feel relaxed and confident. When I have to guess (which will happen from time to time on the real thing), I just guess and move on without thinking about it again. But when I took the real test on Monday, I got very nervous and got rattled when I had to guess. I just need to figure out a way to calm myself down. Any suggestions anyone?

Christopher Wilson

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 13:53
Chris,
Anxiety is normal and all of us go through that. It is ONLY you who can help yourself. You will need to conquer your fear and anxiety. No one can help you since you know yourself the best. Find out what comforts you and what works for you, seek help from a friend if need be.... have confidence.. you can do it especially if your PR scores are as high as 700.

Remember its just a damn test.... and don't let it get onto your nerves.

Spiderman_xx
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 17:01
This might sound dumb but it works for some people:

Take the practice test in a loud place with many annoying distractions. If you can find something near a construction site or a public place where people enter and leave frequently- all the better. Depending on what city you live in just open the window for the lovely sounds of traffic, airplanes taking off, gun shots whatever.

This is can be an effective method of overcoming anxiety- if you can find the strength to continue working under such annoying conditions you can find the strength to tune out fears of performance during the test. You might even walk away from the real GMAT remarking how calm and peaceful the test center seemed . . .
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 20:33
Hjort wrote:
gun shots whatever

hahaha :P

chris, if possible, take your GMAT in the middle of a gang fight :P :P

more seriously, I think that going slow at the begining is a key element, if you take time and find the solution you will be confident because sometimes you can feel you found the right answer.

Moreover, I think that this is really a personal matter, you should find a way to relax yourself, so it's definitely up to you. Good luck.

I will take the GMAT for the 3rd time next week so I know your feeling too. wish you success...
Manager
Manager

Antmavel [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 04:55
Again. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have already scheduled the test (for the 4th time :oops: ). I plan on doing some yoga and using breathing exercises to get relaxed. I will let you guys know my progress.

Antmavel. Good luck on your test. :)

Christopher Wilson

Antmavel   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2005, 04:55