Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am going through a period of questionning but the success

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

I am going through a period of questionning but the success [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 06:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I am going through a period of questionning but the success to handle the SC depends on a good understanding, which is not yet entirely the case for me...

Here are 2 different SCs with seemingly opposed OAs concerning the "like". I let you judge.

SC1000
134.As rare as something becomes, be it a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.
(A) As rare as something becomes, be it
(B) As rare as something becomes, whether it is
(C) As something becomes rarer and rarer, like
(D) The rarer something becomes, like
(E) The rarer something becomes, whether it is

Kaplan 800

Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries.

A.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries.
B.like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders.
C.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library
D.like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts
E.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 09:03
I think the answer to both is (E).

I think the first one u wud be confused between (D) and (E).
(D) sudnt be the answer coz it says the rarer something becomes like x,y ...which doesent make any sense.

For the second one.
The action of the medievial monasteries is being compared to how modern libraries act.

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 09:08
I would say E and B.

Whether ..or is idiomatic. So E

x like y, often served as.. seems ok. So B

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 09:27
E and B for me also.

SC1000
134.As rare as something becomes, be it a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.
(A) As rare as something becomes, the more avidly it is sought by collectors undiomatic, unparallel
(B) As rare as something becomes, the more avidly it is sought by collectors undiomatic, unparallel
(C) As something becomes rarer and rarer, like compares rarity to cards / records / stamps
(D) The rarer something becomes, like compares rarity to cards / records / stamps
(E) The rarer something becomes, whether it is

Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries.

A.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries. poor construction / unclear (what does like refer to?), use of while
B.like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders.
C.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library changes meaning use of while
D.like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts use of while
E.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts use of while

while, like since, should be used to refer to a point in time:

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/ ... ile01.html

using while in this context could be read as 'during the period less accessible to outsiders'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 12:19
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 16:23
E , D

1. The Rarer .. The More .
The usage of Like is incorrect in D

Like is used to compare nouns
AS is used to compare clauses
We are comparing medieval monasteries with modern libraries so Like fits bets.

In B pronoun "They" has a ambigious reference.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 18:28
E

C

for the 2nd, B is wrong because "they" is ambiguous.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 19:25
It's E for 1st SC.

- the rarer......the more correct construction

It's C for 2nd SC.

- In B , 'they' is ambiguous. It can be used for 'medieval monasteries' and 'modern libraries'. If 'they' is used for 'modern libraries' then 'were' should not be used.
- In E, 'acted like modern libraries act' seems incorrect comparison.

Regards,
Brajesh
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 19:39
E and C.

As rare as something becomes, be it a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.
(A) As rare as something becomes, be it - not parallel. OUT
(B) As rare as something becomes, whether it is - not parallel. OUT
(C) As something becomes rarer and rarer, like - not parallel. OUT
(D) The rarer something becomes, like - need a constrasting construction. OUT
(E) The rarer something becomes, whether it is - Parallel. Constrasting construction (whether this or that). RIGHT

Kaplan 800

A.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries. - do is missing. OUT.
B.like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders. - they is ambiguos. OUT
C.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library - RIGHT
D.like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts - Akward construction.
E.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts - comparing two verbs - need as, not like.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 01:02
OA E and A.

I thought it would be D, because like would refer to something, thus comparing 2 nous, which is OK.
"Whether it is" supposes that there are only 3 things which can become rarer, baseball, stamp or recording. I dont fully agree with that....

What is wrong with the baseball is right with Monastries which I dont think to be very correct. "like" is at the opposite end of the sentence, a bit too far to modify monastries, and too close to texts.

So to recapitulate:

Monastries served as repositories for textes, like modern libraries. OK
The rarer something becomes, like a stamp, the more it is thought. Not OK

I can later post the OE of Monastries, but Kaplan has a tendency to use the POE. So he explains all the wrong answers, but not why the correct one is actually correct. So, not a big help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 02:03
Doh :oops: missed the ambiguos pronoun! Have also checked the dictionary and 'while' can be used as:

5. even though; although: While she appreciated the honor, she could not accept the position.

Have seen sites state although is preferable to while, but cannot find a definitve answer :roll: :roll: (not that it matters in this case anyway, but would be nice to know).
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2006, 02:58
karlfurt wrote:
OA E and A.

I thought it would be D, because like would refer to something, thus comparing 2 nous, which is OK.
"Whether it is" supposes that there are only 3 things which can become rarer, baseball, stamp or recording. I dont fully agree with that....

What is wrong with the baseball is right with Monastries which I dont think to be very correct. "like" is at the opposite end of the sentence, a bit too far to modify monastries, and too close to texts.

So to recapitulate:

I can later post the OE of Monastries, but Kaplan has a tendency to use the POE. So he explains all the wrong answers, but not why the correct one is actually correct. So, not a big help.

karlfurt, can you please post the OE for the second SC? Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2006, 05:13
karlfurt wrote:
OA E and A.

So to recapitulate:

Usage of 'like' in the first example is more as sighting examples. Often preferred way to give example is using "such as". Even with the usage of "like" when sighting examples usually I don't see "or" its usually "and" ( e.g 'like X, Y and C', its not 'like X or Y or C' ). Where as 'Whether X or Y or C is proper'. So E it is.

Now coming to second example, here usage of like is more with the intention of comparing to libraries. Its not giving example but comparing to librarian. So A is fine.

Changes the meaning, referent to "they" is not clear, it can be libraries or monasteries . so falsely this can be interpreted as 'libraries' are less accessible to outsiders' which is not what the original sentence says. so this twists the meaning of the sentence.

C.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library

not quite sure why i didn't like this, use 'like' for comparing nouns and 'as' for comparing verbs? monsatries => libraries ( instead of library is preferred ? )

D.like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts

similar to B. reads as libraries are less accessible to outsiders!!

E.while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts

original sentence only says 'often' served as repositories, where as this sentense comes out as if 'always' and they acted like modern is too out of context.

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2006, 06:32
karlfurt wrote:
OA E and A.

So to recapitulate:

For the second question, while can used for the purpose of whereas and at the same time. Here in this question while stands for at the same time. so A is correct becos other choices using while are wordy.

Neelabh Mahesh

[#permalink] 30 Sep 2006, 06:32