Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 4: 680 Q45 V39
GMAT 5: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -8 [0], given: 45

I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium" [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:43
I have a hit rate of 80% for OG and OG QP 1 designated "Hard" questions, but 70% for Easy/Medium. Yes, even the "easy" questions trip me up.. they also take me longer to do!

A bit about me:

I am a native speaker. My quant is 46-48. My last GMATPrep was a 740 (48Q 44V) (first take). I had not studied SC as my V scores were plenty high, and I hated the thought of grammar. I sat to write the real exam a week ago and scored a disappointing 660 (Q47 V35). This test started with 7 SC in a row, and only had 3 RC passages (= additional SC). I am dedicating the 31 days between my first attempt and my second attempt to SC. My first week of prep has told me this: I am solid in the "hard" range. It's the "easy" questions that I get wrong!

Has anyone else encountered this? I just completed Vertitas Sentence Correction. Any guidance is much appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 185 [1] , given: 66

Re: I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium" [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shanek wrote:
I have a hit rate of 80% for OG and OG QP 1 designated "Hard" questions, but 70% for Easy/Medium. Yes, even the "easy" questions trip me up.. they also take me longer to do!

A bit about me:

I am a native speaker. My quant is 46-48. My last GMATPrep was a 740 (48Q 44V) (first take). I had not studied SC as my V scores were plenty high, and I hated the thought of grammar. I sat to write the real exam a week ago and scored a disappointing 660 (Q47 V35). This test started with 7 SC in a row, and only had 3 RC passages (= additional SC). I am dedicating the 31 days between my first attempt and my second attempt to SC. My first week of prep has told me this: I am solid in the "hard" range. It's the "easy" questions that I get wrong!

Has anyone else encountered this? I just completed Vertitas Sentence Correction. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Simple solution: Get to the "difficult question" zone of the GMAT and stay there! :lol:

Ok ok I guess that advice is akin to "get all 41 questions right"... I'd say you're probably overthinking the easier questions. Try and approach things in a more straight-forward manner to see what the mistakes are. You say you completed the Veritas Sentence Correction problems, so you assuredly learned how to look for common mistakes and such? Meaning, Modifiers, Pronouns, Verbs, Comparisons, Tenses, etc? Stick with the basics and look for each type of error in the original statement. Hopefully this back-to-basics approach will get you back up to the same success level you're having with harder SC questions.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 901 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium" [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shanek wrote:

A bit about me:

Hi shanek,

I too scored 660 in my last attempt. If you are getting easier ones incorrect, then it means that you may be missing on some very basic topics that are tested on GMAT. As you know that GMAT is a computer adaptive test; you will get easier questions first and once you have solved these, you will get the harder ones. The same thing happened to me in quant. I usually solved the apparently easy questions in 30 to 40 seconds and got them incorrect. Though I was able to solve the harder questions correctly, I did some silly mistakes on the easier ones and because of this my overall score suffered. Then I started to pace my self for the test and made sure to answer each question properly, even the ones that I found relatively easier. go through the basic concepts once again so that you fill any existing gaps and find out whether you need improvement in any concepts/ topics. Moreover, if you you spending less time than required on the apparently easier questions, then try to pace yourself properly so that you get enough time for easier as well as for the tougher ones.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Re: I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium" [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:12
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Simple solution: Get to the "difficult question" zone of the GMAT and stay there! :lol:

Ron,

This was my strategy, and it genuinely felt like the real GMAT figured it out. In my mock exams, I was able to rock the CR/RC and raise the bar, so that I was a decent shot at hitting SC. However, as my wasted effort has shown, the GMAT will exploit weakness at every opportunity! Moral: DO NOT LEAVE HOLES IN YOUR PREP!

I completely understand your "back to the basics" approach, though. It makes perfect sense. I am geared up to smash hard questions and am consequently giving the lower-tier too much credit. A good analogy: "C" trap, and "obvious answers" for hard quant.. if you keep these in mind, you start to miss easy questions!
Manager
Manager

Re: I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium" [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:16
Vercules wrote:
I too scored 660 in my last attempt. If you are getting easier ones incorrect, then it means that you may be missing on some very basic topics that are tested on GMAT. As you know that GMAT is a computer adaptive test; you will get easier questions first and once you have solved these, you will get the harder ones. The same thing happened to me in quant. I usually solved the apparently easy questions in 30 to 40 seconds and got them incorrect.

I think this is the key right here. The easy questions are still hard because they are easy. Take a breath and take your time.

Makes sense? ;)
Re: I am MUCH better at "Hard" SC than I am at "Easy-Medium"   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 11:16