Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am not always sure how to check if a relative clause is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 13

I am not always sure how to check if a relative clause is [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 21:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I am not always sure how to check if a relative clause is essential (defining) or non-essential (non-defining).

Let's take this example from MGMAT's SC book, pages 93 and 97, 12th edition:
Well-informed people know that Bordeaux is a French region whose most famous export is the wine that bears its name.

I am interested in the underlined relative clause that modifies region. Is this clause essential or non-essential?

This clause can be considered non-essential because...
- because of the indefinite article "a" in "a French region". After all, the sentence could have said "the French region famous for its same=named wine".
- because even without this modifier it is still clear, which French region is meant.

This clause can be considered essential because...
- because there is no comma before whose. Do we need one?
- because if we remove the clause, the meaning of the sentence changes. Well-informed people know that Bordeaux is a French region. Now those people do not look that informed any more.

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 882 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Essential and non-essential relative clauses with "whose" [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:43
Expert's post
SergeyOrshanskiy wrote:
I am not always sure how to check if a relative clause is essential (defining) or non-essential (non-defining).

Let's take this example from MGMAT's SC book, pages 93 and 97, 12th edition:
Well-informed people know that Bordeaux is a French region whose most famous export is the wine that bears its name.

I am interested in the underlined relative clause that modifies region. Is this clause essential or non-essential?

This clause can be considered non-essential because...
- because of the indefinite article "a" in "a French region". After all, the sentence could have said "the French region famous for its same=named wine".
- because even without this modifier it is still clear, which French region is meant.

This clause can be considered essential because...
- because there is no comma before whose. Do we need one?
- because if we remove the clause, the meaning of the sentence changes. Well-informed people know that Bordeaux is a French region. Now those people do not look that informed any more.

Hi Sergey,

The modifier could be essential as well as non-essential. You should use the one based on the meaning that you want to express. You can identify whether a relative clause is non-essential by the use of comma. In the example that you have used the relative clause would be considered an essential one as it does not contain comma.

For example.

The person, who is standing next to the white car, is my brother.

No emphasis is given to the fact that the person is standing next to a white car. Probably there is just one person, so, in this case we do not intend to differentiate the person. The sentence could be read as "The person is my brother", the relative clause is non-essential.

The person who is standing next to the white car is my brother.

In this case the author/ or the writer intends to express information about a particular person. Which person? The person standing next to the white car. Probably there may be other people around or many cars around. Emphasis is given to the person and his state (standing next to a white car.)

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: Essential and non-essential relative clauses with "whose"   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 07:43