Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am really confused about the use of "so as to".

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I am really confused about the use of "so as to". [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 05:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:10) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
I am really confused about the use of "so as to". Can an expert help me here? Please read both examples to make a comparison.

Example 1

Although the Argentine ant is neither poisonous nor predatory, individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large that its collective appetite can become a competitive threat to bird, lizard, and other insect populations.

A)individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large that its collective appetite can become a competitive
B)individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony of such size, its collective appetite can become a competing
C)individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large as to cause its collective appetite to become a competitive
D)such is the size of the cooperative super-colony comprising individual colonies, its collective appetite can become a competing
E)there is so much size to the individual colonies’ cooperative super-colony that its collective appetite can become a competitive

Here A is the OA which is fine. Please keep C in mind as you read on.

Example 2

The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

A)of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as
B)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough
C)of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as
D)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough
E)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

Here OA is E.

Please compare both examples and let me know why so as to is correct in one and wrong in the other.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: "SO AS TO" Confused [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 05:42
Example 1:
I think problem in C is not "So...As to", but it is "to become" rather than "can become". Use of "to become" removes the uncertainty.

Example 2
You have to choose between 2 idiom "X enough to Y in option D" or "So X as to Y in option E". While "X enough to Y" indicates that one has just enough quality of X to fulfill the criteria for Y, "So X as to Y" indicates that one has too much X so Y can be easily fulfilled.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: "SO AS TO" Confused [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 10:09
in the second sentence..

so high as to...is needed to emphasis that the winds are soo strong that will knock bldgs etc.

high enough suggests they are barely strong enough to knock bldgs etc..

its like

Jim is tall enough to reach the top ..here it means he is just tall enough to reach the top shelf

vs

Jim is so tall as to reach the top shelf...here the emphasis is that he is sooo tall that he can reach the top shelf..

hope my post makes sense??
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS,Oxford SAID,INSEAD,NUS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 25

Re: "SO AS TO" Confused [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:34
Nice explanation .

a note from Manhattan GMAT for the first question

Option (c) --> The construction “so x as to y,” presented here as “so large as to cause…” is a suspect idiomatic form, one that is not preferred by the GMAT.Moreover, the meaning is changed; "so large as to cause..." means that the outcome definitely happens. However, the original sentence only indicates that the "collective appetite CAN become..."

If given a choice between SO AS TO and SO X AS TO Y ( no other errors ) , which one should we prefer ?

FEB 15 2010 !!

well I would not disturb you after the D-day ..so please !!!

It Will Snow In Green , One Day !!!!

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I am really confused about the use of "so as to". [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 15:12
Although the Argentine ant is neither poisonous nor predatory, individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large that its collective appetite can become a competitive threat to bird, lizard, and other insect populations.

A)Individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large that its collective appetite can become a competitive

B)individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony of such size, its collective appetite can become a competing

C)individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large as to cause its collective appetite to become a competitive

D)such is the size of the cooperative super-colony comprising individual colonies, its collective appetite can become a competing

E)there is so much size to the individual colonies’ cooperative super-colony that its collective appetite can become a competitive

OE:

This sentence correctly uses the idiomatic construction “so x that y” where y is a subordinate clause that explains or describes x: “so large that its collective appetite…” The possessive pronoun “its” clearly refers to the “super-colony,” which is correctly modified by the adjective “large.”

(A) CORRECT. The original sentence is correct as written.

(B) The use of the noun “size” instead of the adjective “large” results in a more awkward and wordy alternative to the original sentence. The subordinate clause “its collective appetite…” should be introduced by “that.” Additionally, “competing” does not have the same meaning as “competitive.”

(C) The construction “so x as to y,” presented here as “so large as to cause…” is a suspect idiomatic form, one that is not preferred by the GMAT. Moreover, the meaning is changed; "so large as to cause..." means that the outcome definitely happens. However, the original sentence only indicates that the "collective appetite CAN become..."

(D) The construction “such is the size of the cooperative super-colony comprising individual colonies” is an awkward and wordy alternative to the original “individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large.” The subordinate clause “its collective appetite…” should be introduced by “that.” Additionally, “competing” does not have the same meaning as “competitive.”

(E) The construction “there is so much size to the individual colonies’ cooperative super-colony” is an awkward and wordy alternative to the original “individual colonies cooperate in a super-colony so large.”

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: I am really confused about the use of "so as to".   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 15:12