Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am struggling with noun and verb modifiers, especially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 12

I am struggling with noun and verb modifiers, especially [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:34) correct 55% (00:45) wrong based on 60 sessions
I am struggling with noun and verb modifiers, especially when it comes to adverbs and adjectives.
Could any one explain how to identify both modifiers ?
Here is an example with which i encounter problems :
In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it
was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities.

(A) flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities
(B) flat, and so elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary
(C) flatly, and so there was no necessity for elaborate closet facilities
(D) flat, there being no necessity for elaborate closet facilities
(E) flatly, as no elaborate closet facilities were necessary

What is "flatly" in this case ?
thx in advance !
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 15:42
I'm not an expert on noun and verb modifiers. I myself have chosen to not give importance to that topic because I never understood it in detail. Still, I"ll try to answer your question based on my understanding.

In this question, b is the right answer. Flat describes the noun clothing, hence is an adjective, implying that flatly is wrong. We can rule our A, C and E based on this rule. Between b and d, I chose b since it was structurally a better constructed sentence.

Now, coming to noun modifiers - my understanding: phrases that modufy nouns are called noun modiefiers. Adjectives are noun modifiers too.
Eg. 1.The grey cat crossed the road. Grey is the noun modifier here(also an adjective,incidentally)
2.The teacher who taught us Physics last year has invited us to join her Physics club. who taught us Physics is the noun modiefier here. Noun modifiers are placed close to the noun that they modify

Verb Modifiers - my understanding: modifies verbs and answers questions such as 'when', 'how', where' etc. Adverbs fall into this category.
Eg.Everyday, I buy a sandwich at this Deli. Here everyday is a verb modifier that modifies buy. Verb modifiers need not be places close to the verb that they modify

Hope that helps.

NOTE - Any SC expert out herE? Let me know if my understaning is correct in this case.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 21:04
B says: n the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flat, and so elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary.
Can flat, an adjective which should modify the noun most clothing is a right option here. Isn't a Noun Modifier suppose to touch a Noun??

I am confused between noun modifier and verb modifier. :(

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 21:44
Adverbs can modify almost anything (verbs, adjectives or other adverbs) but not nouns and pronouns.

Adjectives modify nouns/pronouns.

And if you are totally stumped, pick adjective :) . This is just an empirical observation, which i have built based on the SC problems.

Crick
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 01:36
Crick,

Thanks for the explanation.
But i'm stuck between the option of using Flat or Flatly for this question. Lets consider using Flat is a better option as compared to Flatly but flat is not touching the noun most clothing here..

Cheers,
Varun

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 02:35
Expert's post
Some words can be used as both adjectives and adverbs; flat is one among them. A few more are late, fast, hard, close deep etc. These do not need to be suffixed with the 'ly' tag to denote that they are adverbs.

The test is to find the answer for these question, - packed when, packed where, packed how and some such. If the word could answer any one of the questions, then it is an adverb, since adverbs denote time, manner, place etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 03:58
daagh,

Thanks.. That serially solves the queries in head.. But raises another question..
I am sorry but have to ask this question..

So here the flat is adverb and acting as verb modifier or it is adjective and acting as noun modifier?

Cheers,
Varun

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [1] , given: 249

Re: How to identify a noun or a verb modifier ? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Flat in this context, is an adverb modifying the verb packed; make bold to choose B as the answer.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: I am struggling with noun and verb modifiers, especially [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 05:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: I am struggling with noun and verb modifiers, especially   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 05:10