Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am struggling with this kind of CR questions. I appreciate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 6

I am struggling with this kind of CR questions. I appreciate [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 23:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I am struggling with this kind of CR questions. I appreciate if somebody states the procedure to tackle this kind of quesitions. Thanks.

Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward’s argument as a response to Teresa’s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(C) It raises a consideration that outweighs the argument Teresa makes.
(D) It does not meet Teresa’s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa’s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 00:48
d

Last edited by chicagocubsrule on 28 Jan 2009, 22:18, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 01:13
I will go with C.

A. Evidence from Edward's argument does not disapprove the evidence in Teressa's argument.
B. It does not indicate the logical gap in the support of Teressa's conclusion.
D. It does not address transporting people in space.
E. None of the arguments addresses preference in national budget.
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 03:28
My ans is C. Teresa critised spaceship aying it is not economical as compared to other modes of human transportation. BUt Edward raises a consideration of safety of humans saying only 2 accidents have occured in 25 yrs. Thus making afety as the main consideration, Edward outweighs Teresa's point of economy. and this is best summed up in C.
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I am struggling with this kind of CR questions. I appreciate if somebody states the procedure to tackle this kind of quesitions. Thanks.

Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward’s argument as a response to Teresa’s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(D) It does not meet Teresa’s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa’s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 07:23

F: They all suck.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 14:48
I go with D.

in C) We can't determine what is a "better" argument (outweighs).

In D) Edward does not assume that $ is going to be an issue (as Teresa mentioned), and ignores the $ situation completely.

I will go with D.

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 15:00

Teresa says that manned spaceflight is too expensive, compared to other forms of flight. Edward says that spaceflight is safe. Edward's point is irrelevant to Teresa's argument, quite clearly. That means A and B are out. C is out, because the safety of spaceflight can't possibly outweigh Teresa's point: after all, if manned spaceflight is so expensive that we can no longer send people into space, who cares if it's safe? E is also out, since Teresa's 'fundamental issue' has nothing to do with budget priorities.

That leaves D, the right answer: Edward has ignored the fact that economics might be a serious impediment to sending people into space.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 19:07
May be I am pondering too much to get the answer.

D says that Edward's argument assumes 'there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space'. Edward actually stated "Safety" concern but he nowhere mentioned that there is NO impediment.

I was lured by "National Budget" in E and eliminated D.

OA is D

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Manned spaceflight [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 22:26
IanStewart wrote:

Teresa says that manned spaceflight is too expensive, compared to other forms of flight. Edward says that spaceflight is safe. Edward's point is irrelevant to Teresa's argument, quite clearly. That means A and B are out. C is out, because the safety of spaceflight can't possibly outweigh Teresa's point: after all, if manned spaceflight is so expensive that we can no longer send people into space, who cares if it's safe? E is also out, since Teresa's 'fundamental issue' has nothing to do with budget priorities.

That leaves D, the right answer: Edward has ignored the fact that economics might be a serious impediment to sending people into space.

D looks like half correct half wrong. It does not meet T's point is correct.

How ever E is not assuming that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space. E is clearly stating that 2 accidents out of 25 is good. Whether 2 out of 25 is safe or unsafe is a different story.

T does not care about safety, she only cares about the economics. She says it is not worth going. It is different from it is unsafe to go.
Re: CR - Manned spaceflight   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2009, 22:26