Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am STUCK...Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I am STUCK...Please help [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:58
Hi There,

It s been a few weeks now that I have started preparing for the GMAT. At the beginning, I could answer all the Quant questions on time but with a lot of incorrect answers. Now that I have learned again the basics, started to use some strategy and focusing on the first questions, I am stuck. I am stuck because I take lot of time (about 50 mins)to answer correctly the first 15 questions and then have 25 mins to answer 22 questions left ! So either I finish the test guessing, or I can t finish it at all.

So, I am happy that I can now answer the right thing at the beginning, but as you know I need to combine both rapidity and efficiency. My background is not math at all and it looks like I am gonna get trapped in 3 weeks when I take my exam if do not find any way to solve this. I also need to translate most of the confusing questions from english into my mother tongue language so that also takes additional time.

Any advice please?

Many Thanks

Cheers
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: I am STUCK...Please help [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 07:03
I'm fairly new at this myself, but if you need 50 minutes to work through 15 questions I would strongly suggest that you spend more than 3 weeks studying before taking the test. I'm learning that this is a long, hard battle and that success - especially for those of us without a strong quantitative background - takes several weeks (or months!) of focused preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: I am STUCK...Please help [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 07:22
gmatyanis wrote:
Hi There,

It s been a few weeks now that I have started preparing for the GMAT. At the beginning, I could answer all the Quant questions on time but with a lot of incorrect answers. Now that I have learned again the basics, started to use some strategy and focusing on the first questions, I am stuck. I am stuck because I take lot of time (about 50 mins)to answer correctly the first 15 questions and then have 25 mins to answer 22 questions left ! So either I finish the test guessing, or I can t finish it at all.

So, I am happy that I can now answer the right thing at the beginning, but as you know I need to combine both rapidity and efficiency. My background is not math at all and it looks like I am gonna get trapped in 3 weeks when I take my exam if do not find any way to solve this. I also need to translate most of the confusing questions from english into my mother tongue language so that also takes additional time.

Any advice please?

Many Thanks

Cheers

Hello gmatyanis,

Welcome to GmatClub.
Could you please let us know which strategy books you have used till now for Quant?
If you have not used them ,I would suggest you to get Manhattan Gmat Math strategy books , spend some time on the Math strategies and once you are confident , move on with the practice(OG10 / 11 /12).

If you have just started with the prep , I will recommend you to not time the practice for a week or so.
Once you start answering the answers correctly and you start using the math strategies / shortcuts , start timing your preps(OG10 / 11 /12).

Once you start getting a hit ratio of 85%+ , you may take the Quant part of the diagnostic test .(GmatPrep)
I will never recommend taking a diagnostic test for practice purpose , thats just wasting a CAT.

Lahoosaher

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: I am STUCK...Please help [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 09:37
How much time do you spend setting up the problem?

One of best concepts to become familiar with on the quant section is setting up the problem. The only way to routinely set up the problems correctly is to establish a strong foundation in the fundamentals. You're focus should not be "how long I spend to answer the question correctly", rather it should be "how long I spend to set up the problem, evaluate, and come to a solution"

You should be budgeting ~2mins per problem. When working on a practice exam, some questions will be a bit over the 2 min mark, and some will be under the 2 min mark. Your goal is to maintain the overall timing for the entire section.

If you focus and spend lots of time getting the first batch right, then crash and burn through the rest, your score will likely take a nice fall.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: I am STUCK...Please help   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2009, 09:37