Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am wondering if people use the Manhattan guide to doing CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

I am wondering if people use the Manhattan guide to doing CR [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 10:55
I am wondering if people use the Manhattan guide to doing CR problems. They suggest a diagramming approach with 2 columns- +ve Premises on 1 side and -ve on the other, with Assumptions in brackets at the bottom and finally the conclusion on top (of course all this highly abbreviated).

They recommend doing this as it helps with better absorption of the statements and also makes sure you don't miss key words.

While this does work for me most times, I find myself struggling to complete any question under 2:00 minutes with this method. Especially when the passage is slightly more verbose.

Does anyone who is following the Manhattan guides to study have any suggestions or tips on what I can do. I do get a lot of OG questions correct using their approach but find myself averaging around 2:15-2:45, which is not good!

I would like to take it below 2:15, ideally average around 2:00. My test is scheduled in 1 month. Any help?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 78600

CAT Tests
Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
The CR prompts are far too short to require a diagram. I personally think it's all a waste of time. The only one that MIGHT require a diagram is the rare "Parallel reasoning" question. There's a simple strategy that works for all other CR questions. First, IDENTIFY THE CONCLUSION. Once you've done that, find the premises. If done correctly you should be able to answer every question in a short amount of time. No need to write anything down. Also, Powerscore CR Bible is much better than Manhattan CR IMO (own both).
Manager
Manager

Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 11:21
getienne wrote:
The CR prompts are far too short to require a diagram. I personally think it's all a waste of time. The only one that MIGHT require a diagram is the rare "Parallel reasoning" question. There's a simple strategy that works for all other CR questions. First, IDENTIFY THE CONCLUSION. Once you've done that, find the premises. If done correctly you should be able to answer every question in a short amount of time. No need to write anything down. Also, Powerscore CR Bible is much better than Manhattan CR IMO (own both).

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I will now try to tackle the questions without diagramming as such (but of course, still going through the steps of understanding the conclusion and the premise).

I have been reading good things about the Powerscore CR bible. I suppose I will break down and get it. My main issue at this time is trying to fit my answers within 2 minutes. Of course, I am looking to do this even with the very high # problems in the OG - my average for #118-124 was around 2:15 (got all correct though).

Thanks.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78600

CAT Tests
Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 11:30
It's all about cracking the Easy and Medium questions under 1:30... I'd say 1:30 for the easy and medium and 2 minutes for the hard ones (while maintaining a high level of accuracy) and you'll be good. Diagramming takes time to process and to write down (extra wasted 30 seconds). Make sure you have a preliminary grid setup, so that you're simply eliminating wrong answers for each question. Pre-formulating an answer before looking at the answer choices also helps both time and accuracy.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 05:44
MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR Bible are almost the same, I have both the books but i referred to Powerscore CR.
While doing powerscore CR simultaneously do OG questions too as recommended by powerscore CR Bible, with that you should be able to crack 80 to 90% of the questions without much difficulty.
And i dont think you need to write down all the details in a tabular format, just read the content carefully and before doing so read the question stem and try to prephrase the answer before looking at the answer options.
I follow this strategy and its working for me :)
Since CR question is relatively small in size compared to RC Passages its better not to waste time in writing down the content of CR, we can always refer back to the text if required.
Manager
Manager

Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 06:40
Yes, actually I have now stopped diagramming on paper and just do it in my head. I guess I am not as dense as MGMAT suggests as I can hold this in my head for the duration of the question.

I have found that I am now considerably faster and my accuracy hasn't suffered (if anything, I think its improving).

I am reading the CR bible now. It is a good book if slightly more garrulous.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 20:55
after you are done with CR Bible, go thro a very handy summary doc available in GMAT CLUB itself. It will be useful while revising.
All the best :)
Re: Using methods in Manhattan Strategy Guide is not working: CR   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2011, 20:55