Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I came across on one of the forums where these questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
I came across on one of the forums where these questions [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 04:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

37% (02:09) correct 63% (00:52) wrong based on 70 sessions
I came across on one of the forums where these questions were posted, but couldn't find the explanation. So, posting it here, so that any of the experts can shed some light on them. Both are of same kind of questions but with different type of answers. I am confused & curious to know the reason.
Plzz! help.

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of

B) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

C) Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

E) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activvity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

@Moderators...couldn't find these questions on forum, in case already discussed please! merge it to the original.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 07:18
AtifS wrote:
I came across on one of the forums where these questions were posted, but couldn't find the explanation. So, posting it here, so that any of the experts can shed some light on them. Both are of same kind of questions but with different type of answers. I am confused & curious to know the reason.
Plzz! help.

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of

B) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

C) Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

E) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Question 1. A

Parallelism: You need to check for Parallelism in two areas "her ...", "... of"

1. Mary Leakey ... her discovery ... her discovery ... her painstaking documentation

2. her discovery of .... her painstaking documentation of

Only Option A statisfies both.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 07:19
AtifS wrote:
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activvity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Question 2. D

Same explanation as above

Only Option D has parallelism in "her" and "of"
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 06:32
I marked D for:
1. ||sm - ...her work...her dicovery...her painstaking...
2. In the introductory part we have HER, so we need a possesive noun (Leakey's) rather than a simple noun (Leakey).

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 05:59
A it is.

Possessive pronoun can refer back to subject or object noun. Possessive pronoun should be paid attention in the last when there is nothing esle to pick in the sentence. 'her' can refer to 'Mary Leakey's' or 'Mary Leakey'.

A is correct for parallelism.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 13:47
How can the modifier be correct with both Leakey and Leakey's?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 05:47
I agree with the second one....the first one seems wrong

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 16:03
'her' is the pronoun used for Mary Leakey...not for Mary Leakey's work.... so options D and E can be eliminated
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 16:04
'her' is the pronoun used for Mary Leakey...not for Mary Leakey's work.... so options D and E can be eliminated
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 08:55
+1 A
A is the only parallel sentence.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 13:03
noboru wrote:
How can the modifier be correct with both Leakey and Leakey's?

Thanks.

I've the same doubt. Experts please clarify!

'In addition to HER WORK on Y, X's contribution' looks like the correct modifier here...

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 20

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hey yossarian,

I agree with you...my first thought upon reading this one is that "In addition to ___________" needs to modify Leakey's contributions and not Leaky herself, since the modifier is talking about another of her contributions. That makes E in the second example the perfect way to phrase that, in my opinion.

Here's where SC strategy gets involved, though. In the first example, you don't have that option. Both D and E in the first example include poorly-written, not-at-all-parallel options "her discovery" and "painstakingly documenting"; and "her discovering" and "painstaking documentation". Those options are both incorrect, which brings you back to the beginning:

In addition to her work, Leakey contributed through her discovery and her documentation...

While I don't love this modifier, I may be stuck with it because D and E are so bad, and if you take this as an inverted sentence, you can make it look a lot better by saying:

Leaky contributed through her discovery and her documentation, in addition to her work.

That seems to work pretty well, and accordingly A seems to me to be the 'least incorrect' answer of the first question. Honestly, I'm not sure that it's a perfect modifier, but that's the only sentence of the 5 that I think has a chance to be correct, so in a test-day situation that's the one I'm going with. One of my colleagues at Veritas Prep - David Newland - is fond of saying that Sentence Correction is a search for "Better, Not Best"...you may not get a perfect sentence the way that you'd prefer it to be written - the best way - but you can find better ways that don't violate obvious rules, and often that's what needs to be done. Here, strategically, I'd look first for #2, choice E, but in #1 if I can't find it I'll get rid of the clearly-wrong answers first and then try to justify what's left.

I hope that helps - thanks for the invitation to weigh in!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:18
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey yossarian,

I agree with you...my first thought upon reading this one is that "In addition to ___________" needs to modify Leakey's contributions and not Leaky herself, since the modifier is talking about another of her contributions. That makes E in the second example the perfect way to phrase that, in my opinion.

Here's where SC strategy gets involved, though. In the first example, you don't have that option. Both D and E in the first example include poorly-written, not-at-all-parallel options "her discovery" and "painstakingly documenting"; and "her discovering" and "painstaking documentation". Those options are both incorrect, which brings you back to the beginning:

In addition to her work, Leakey contributed through her discovery and her documentation...

While I don't love this modifier, I may be stuck with it because D and E are so bad, and if you take this as an inverted sentence, you can make it look a lot better by saying:

Leaky contributed through her discovery and her documentation, in addition to her work.

That seems to work pretty well, and accordingly A seems to me to be the 'least incorrect' answer of the first question. Honestly, I'm not sure that it's a perfect modifier, but that's the only sentence of the 5 that I think has a chance to be correct, so in a test-day situation that's the one I'm going with. One of my colleagues at Veritas Prep - David Newland - is fond of saying that Sentence Correction is a search for "Better, Not Best"...you may not get a perfect sentence the way that you'd prefer it to be written - the best way - but you can find better ways that don't violate obvious rules, and often that's what needs to be done. Here, strategically, I'd look first for #2, choice E, but in #1 if I can't find it I'll get rid of the clearly-wrong answers first and then try to justify what's left.

I hope that helps - thanks for the invitation to weigh in!

Thanks for the reply, Brian - makes more sense with the inverted sentence.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 02:28
seekmba wrote:
A it is.

Possessive pronoun can refer back to subject or object noun. Possessive pronoun should be paid attention in the last when there is nothing esle to pick in the sentence. 'her' can refer to 'Mary Leakey's' or 'Mary Leakey'.

A is correct for parallelism.

Invoking a very old posts.Possessive poisson rule says a possessive pronoun cant refer back to a subject pronoun

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2010, 02:28