Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I can do math but I cannot do the GMAT, and I do not know why [#permalink]
You are absolutely correct. I put my head down and think, "Solve this" and I have not been able to break myself out of this. It's weird how pervasive and ingrained it is.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cpace,

From what you describe, you're treating the Quant sections of your CATs (and the Quant section of the Official GMAT) as if they were 'math tests', when they're really not that at all. The Quant section is a critical thinking Test that requires a lot of little calculations as you work through the logic of each question. When the timer starts counting down, you 'revert' to a 'math mindset' (likely because your prior studies and job(s) have focused on that type of thinking). If this has been an issue for you for some time, then it might take longer to fix than just a 10 days. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
Started on-n-off in early May but really put my nose to the grindstone beginning in August
2) What materials have you used?
MGMAT Quant and Practice Exams, GMAT Club Book, Magoosh Video Explanations, and few Kaplan Video Turorials
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Honestly, haven't done the verbal sections for the MGMAT practice tests in a while. Been so focused on Quant.
Quant Scores
CAT 1: Q42 / V39 (or something like that)
CAT 2: 36
CAT 3: 39
CAT 4: 41
CAT 5: 42

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
Would just like to crack 700.
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Round 2 of this year, as I've already completed one GMAT despite the terrible score (in my opinion, of course)
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
UCLA, CAL, USC (staying mostly in California) via the Consortium. I paid for undergrad pretty much by myself and am not looking to do that again

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Just to add one more thing. When I first got my scores I reviewed my problems and saw that there were gaps in my understanding of various concepts. I have worked incredibly hard to fill those gaps, and it shows on the problem sets (Well, aside from inequalities but I'm pumping through those thanks to this forum). I feel I have filled in those gaps but there is a fundamental problem in how I approach the problem that I cannot, or rather have not, been able to tackle.

Originally posted by cpace on 14 Nov 2016, 16:58.
Last edited by cpace on 14 Nov 2016, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I can do math but I cannot do the GMAT, and I do not know why [#permalink]
Porkbun123 wrote:
Hey don't feel discouraged. MGMAT Quant is notorious for being overly difficult. If you do a quick search you'll find that a lot of people experience this. For me, I never got over 42 on mgmat quant but on real gmat tests I never got under 48.

Thank you. I'll keep trying and will not quit. But I want to know that I can do this test and get the score I want. It's a pride thing. In school stuff like this was easy, but 6 years later and I'm struggling.

It's honestly weird for me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cpace,

First off, a 640 is a solid score (it's just shy of the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. The Q41 may or may not be an 'issue' - it won't impress anyone, and it could potentially be a 'red flag' at certain Schools. If you have a strong OVERALL profile though, then you potentially get into all of the Schools that you listed with this score.

That all having been said, if you have not taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) then it's difficult to assess how you might score in 10 days. You might want to consider pushing back your Test Date (even if it's just for a couple of weeks) so that you can continue to study and make the necessary improvements to how you deal with the Quant section. With 3-4 weeks of consistent study time, I bet that we could improve that Quant Scaled Score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
This advice might be too little, too late - I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now, but it may be helpful if you decide to postpone your test or retake it later! My recommendation is to do a practice test - maybe more than one - where your only goal is to use intelligent problem-solving strategies on Quant. Don't set a score goal - in fact, prepare for your score to be worse than it has been. You don't even have to look at your score when you're finished, if you don't want to! Don't think about getting a lot of problems right, or anything like that. Just decide that if you use smart numbers, backsolving, estimation, etc on as many problems as possible, you won.

It's just a practice test, after all, so what do you have to lose? The worst case scenario is that you get a lousy score and some solid practice. It doesn't reflect on you or your intelligence at all. It's just something to try. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Yes, I think many GMAT veterans can relate. Seemingly smart math folks take the GMAT and bomb the math section. It's not crazy math -- but reading the problem carefully definitely is a test-taking skill and you want to make sure you don't mis-read things. You also want to be prepared with what formulas and thinking processes are effective for solving certain questions -- like rate problems or Data Sufficiency -- some will require you to iterate through various scenarios. You'll want to be very careful and re-read what the question is asking. Hopefully after several tries, you'll get a feel for where the exam is trying to trick you.

Don't get duped!
GMAT Club Bot