Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I can't believe I'm going to ask this but...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 12:23
Should I re-take the GMAT

:agrue: :sick: :silent: :beat :madd :knight :yikes :peek :puke :wall :crying :hair

:(

So, I'm on the waitlist at duke, and looking for a way off... My GMAT is 710 q45 v42. I know, my quant is low... and I'm wondering if that is the main reason I'm on the waitlist. I went to a somewhat no name school, but my quant courses are all As and Bs. I work in a quant heavy job, and my recommenders addressed my quant ability in detail. Also, I was a math tutor in college... ALSO, I am planning to transition into Marketing post MBA...

so... should I still retake the GMAT (my 4th attempt) or am I crazy to even consider it?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 12:35
highwyre237,

Although your quant score is on the lowish side, my guess is that it is one only factor in your being wait-listed, given all of the offsetting info you mentioned in your post. To identify the other potential reasons for your W-L, I would need to take a closer look at your candidacy/application.
Fuqua allows you to update them, so I would take advantage of this to send a strong signal that you deserve to get off their W-L if a spot opens up.

Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

highwyre237 wrote:
Should I re-take the GMAT

:agrue: :sick: :silent: :beat :madd :knight :yikes :peek :puke :wall :crying :hair

:(

So, I'm on the waitlist at duke, and looking for a way off... My GMAT is 710 q45 v42. I know, my quant is low... and I'm wondering if that is the main reason I'm on the waitlist. I went to a somewhat no name school, but my quant courses are all As and Bs. I work in a quant heavy job, and my recommenders addressed my quant ability in detail. Also, I was a math tutor in college... ALSO, I am planning to transition into Marketing post MBA...

so... should I still retake the GMAT (my 4th attempt) or am I crazy to even consider it?

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 12:43
Ok, lets say... My essays show a perfect fit, solid career goals, but my interview was only average. My work history is solid, and shows progression... but I will not have much, if anything, to update adcom with... also, since I have a business undergrad, and did well in those classes, I do not feel taking a class would help.

Should I focus my efforts on improving my GMAT, since the other aspects of my profile are pretty set in stone?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 14:23
Yes, if you have some evidence (e.g., practice tests) that you could raise the score by taking it again.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

highwyre237 wrote:
Ok, lets say... My essays show a perfect fit, solid career goals, but my interview was only average. My work history is solid, and shows progression... but I will not have much, if anything, to update adcom with... also, since I have a business undergrad, and did well in those classes, I do not feel taking a class would help.

Should I focus my efforts on improving my GMAT, since the other aspects of my profile are pretty set in stone?

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
You're a little bit nuts...
But you knew that...
I dunno hard to say. I would say it depends more also on what your other options are, and what your holistic strategy going forward is... meaning, let's assume worst case scenario.. you don't get in.. do you have other options? Or are you gonna apply next year anyhow.. aha! so are you gonna do that? Well in that case a higher GMAT is really worth it.. and then CAN you get it? or is it gonna be like chewing concrete?

I'll be honest with you, a 740 can look nice, and the extra effort can feel good... but there may be better and easier things you can do to improve your profile... 80/20... you know what I mean...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but... [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 23:41
You are admitted to Cornell but looking for Duke. Any specific reasons for that ?

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

Re: I can't believe I'm going to ask this but...   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 23:41