Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I did some RC questions and i noticed that with the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
I did some RC questions and i noticed that with the [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 06:10
I did some RC questions and i noticed that with the questions i got wrong on I almost always end up with a "split" decision on 2 choices. When I answer questions i basically use a grading scale like C>A>D>B>E (just for reference etc.) and sometimes i can't find an answer that is the best and end with 2 answers that to me are equally likely... Anyone use anything to help them figure out (or at least make better decision/guess) at it?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with RC "50/50" answers decision [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 08:57
The approach is probably slightly different for each type of question, but it's important to remember that there is only one correct answer. If you were to challenge an answer choice with GMAC, they'd be able to point to a specific word or phase that makes the answer choice wrong.

Rather than ranking questions in order of which is best, you might try crossing out answers if they have anything wrong with them.

(This list is more specific to CR questions, but the same concept can apply to most RC questions)
A) X - Too extreme
B) X - Irrelevant
C) X - Out of Scope
D) X - Opposite
E) * - Correct

Also: Your search for the correct answer will be much shorter if you try to pre-phrase the answer before reading the answer choices. This will also save you from trap answers that sound good, but send you down the wrong path.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with RC "50/50" answers decision [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 09:10
Avernusaur wrote:
The approach is probably slightly different for each type of question, but it's important to remember that there is only one correct answer. If you were to challenge an answer choice with GMAC, they'd be able to point to a specific word or phase that makes the answer choice wrong.

Rather than ranking questions in order of which is best, you might try crossing out answers if they have anything wrong with them.

(This list is more specific to CR questions, but the same concept can apply to most RC questions)
A) X - Too extreme
B) X - Irrelevant
C) X - Out of Scope
D) X - Opposite
E) * - Correct

Also: Your search for the correct answer will be much shorter if you try to pre-phrase the answer before reading the answer choices. This will also save you from trap answers that sound good, but send you down the wrong path.

yeah i am still in the habit of reading answers first... I guess i felt it saves me time by eliminating some bad choices first... i will try that next time.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: Need help with RC "50/50" answers decision   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2009, 09:10