Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2607 [1] , given: 696

I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:14) correct 29% (01:19) wrong based on 224 sessions
I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. Almost all salaried
individuals today are paid based on their qualification and experience and not their sex. It is only
the lower labour class where the disparity still exists, but this is justified because there are certain
tasks requiring physical strength, such as carrying heavy construction material, that can only be
done by men.

If the above statements are true, which of the following is an example of a wage disparity on the
basis of gender?

(A) A company pays its management trainees, most of whom are females and have just passed
out from business schools, a lower salary than it pays to its senior partners, most of whom
are males
(B) A male labourer who does not do any physically taxing work is paid a lower wage than a
male labourer who does physically taxing work
(C) A female employee at a managerial level in a company gets a lower salary than a female
employee who has joined the company as a trainee but whose uncle is a partner in the
company
(D) A male labourer who does not do any physical work is paid a higher wage than a female
labourer who does not do any physical work
(E) A male manager working for Company X gets paid a higher salary than does a female
manager with similar experience working for Company Z
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 07:19
I would go with E.
D is close , bt i think cannot be right answer because "there are certain tasks requiring physical strength"...So in labor class there can be cases where female can be paide higher than the male.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!

Archit
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1191 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 07:29
(A) A company pays its management trainees, most of whom are females and have just passed out from business schools, a lower salary than it pays to its senior partners, most of whom are males
The lower salary of trainees doesn't mean wage disparity
(B) A male labourer who does not do any physically taxing work is paid a lower wage than a male labourer who does physically taxing work
This is a comparison between males, and is not an example of disparity (more physical work => more money)
(C) A female employee at a managerial level in a company gets a lower salary than a female employee who has joined the company as a trainee but whose uncle is a partner in the company
Same as A
(D) A male labourer who does not do any physical work is paid a higher wage than a female labourer who does not do any physical work
This is a good one, but IMO is not correct. The passage says that the disparity "is justified because there are certain tasks requiring physical strength", and this is one of those cases.
(E) A male manager working for Company X gets paid a higher salary than does a female manager with similar experience working for Company Z
CORRECT: same job, same experience but not same salary

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2607 [0], given: 696

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 07:59
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 08:16
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 08:51
Answer is D? since disparity exists in "lower labour class" hence "male labourer vs female labourer" would work.

2 cents. I want to know the right answer :)
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 09:00
carcass wrote:
I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men and women. Almost all salaried
individuals today are paid based on their qualification and experience and not their sex. It is only
the lower labour class where the disparity still exists, but this is justified because there are certain
tasks requiring physical strength, such as carrying heavy construction material, that can only be
done by men.

If the above statements are true, which of the following is an example of a wage disparity on the
basis of gender?

Z

Can I ask a question about the question.....

It says 'if the above statements are true'

The passage says '
I do not agree that a wage disparity still exists'

So this must be true. I.e no wage disparity

Then it asks 'which if the following is an example of wage disparity' r

How does that work? Not being facetious, I'm just confused....

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 09:52
Expert's post
plumber250 wrote:
carcass wrote:
done by men.

basis of gender?

Z

Can I ask a question about the question.....

It says 'if the above statements are true'

The passage says '
I do not agree that a wage disparity still exists'

So this must be true. I.e no wage disparity

Then it asks 'which if the following is an example of wage disparity' r

How does that work? Not being facetious, I'm just confused....

Basically the argument states that the disparity doesn't exist anymore. The correct one weaken this argument, is not an inference question as I can see: the disparity exists.

I agree that in weaken questions the stem says

Quote:
Which of the following, if true,

but I think the most important things is to understand the argument, independently by the formula or words.

OE

Quote:
The argument concludes that wage disparities on the basis of gender do not exist anymore. It also
provides an explanation for an apparent disparity in the wages of male and female labourers. (D)
weakens the argument by stating that even though the male and female workers are not doing
any physical labour, the male is still being paid higher wages than the female.
A. The wage disparity is on the basis of experience or seniority and not gender. The gender is
just a coincidence
B. The comparison between two male labourers is irrelevant to the argument about gender
disparity
C. Again the comparison between two female employees is irrelevant to the argument about
gender disparity
D. The correct answer
E. While this may look good initially, it may very well be the case that the two companies in
question have different wage standards. You can only do a correct comparison if you compare
employees working for the same company.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 10:04
What's the question source? I'm still confused by the wording and would like to read up on it.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 11:37
basis of gender?

(A) A company pays its management trainees, most of whom are females and have just passed
out from business schools, a lower salary than it pays to its senior partners, most of whom
are males - My Take: Higher salary for partners based on the experience

(B) A male labourer who does not do any physically taxing work is paid a lower wage than a
male labourer who does physically taxing work. Not based on gender hence not related to the question

(C) A female employee at a managerial level in a company gets a lower salary than a female
employee who has joined the company as a trainee but whose uncle is a partner in the
company . . .. Two females compared so clearly not based on gender

(D) A male labourer who does not do any physical work is paid a higher wage than a female
labourer who does not do any physical work. Best match as 1) gender comparison 2) Labour class considered.

(E) A male manager working for Company X gets paid a higher salary than does a female
manager with similar experience working for Company Z . . . . Manager's considered and as per the statement in the manager class segment there is not disparity. Disparity exists in the labour class

We have to accept all the information in the passage as true and not include any outside information.

Hope I this helps in understanding this one better

:)
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 11:53
carcass wrote:
done by men.

basis of gender?

are males
company

I think i missed the point i realize it now.The argument is "there are certain task requiring physical exercise" I misconstrued it as there can be any other task that do not require physical exercise done by low class ppl. But actually those other task must also relate to physical exercise....henmce i think D is the correct answer....
Was it from Aristotle

Archit
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 12:12
I will go with D, Below is my analysis.

basis of gender?

are males ==>> It is comparing two separate levels.
male labourer who does physically taxing work ==>> No comparison between genders
company ==>> same as above. No comparison between genders
labourer who does not do any physical work ==>> Bingo---two same groups are being considered and showing the wage disparity
(E) A male manager working for Company X gets paid a higher salary than does a female manager with similar experience working for Company Z ==> It is close, But if you see closely ..there are two companies mentioned ..X and Z...it may be possibility that X may be ' some biggie company' and Z may be 'small company' ....this statement doesn't show wage disparity....if the statements had mentioned same company's then the story would be different :)

IMO D

anything wrong with my reasoning :?:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MJ
GMAT verbal---I am coming for you and this time I will come with all my weapons.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert Post

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 12:33
Expert's post
Quote:

I think i missed the point i realize it now.The argument is "there are certain task requiring physical exercise" I misconstrued it as there can be any other task that do not require physical exercise done by low class ppl. But actually those other task must also relate to physical exercise....henmce i think D is the correct answer....
Was it from Aristotle

Archit

Archit aside the OE here is my opinion

are males

A new guy comes from a BS and is payed less than a senior. So is not our case

If you read carefully who use the hands (in concrete) is payed more than who does not use them. is correct from a labor market standing point but as answer is wrong because there isn't a discrimination

company

here the key is female VS female but we need gender: male VS female

Correct: we can compare the male and the female and also we can see the discrimination because we are in the same company so in an environment that can be compared

This was the most temptive answer: we DO NOT KNOW between the two companies. They could be different parameters of wages and so on

Hope this helps ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 00:48
IMO D.

E cannot be the answer as we donot have any information about the companies X and Z. The type of work that the company does may differ. For instance X could be a construction company and Z could be a software company.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 209

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 03:53
"It is only the lower labor class where the disparity still exists "

Considering above statement true eliminate all options except B and D.

b/w B and D, option D highlights the wage disparity.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: I do not agree that wage disparity still exists between men   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 03:53