Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:36
:( :(
I'm so saddened by my score on the verbal!!
Even when practising CATs, my lower score was 31. I was scoring consistenly between 35 and 40.
I was hoping to limit the damage by having 38 in Verbal but 27 i'm devastated!
I need your advices and resources to improve my Verbal towards 40, please!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 309
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:53
Hi

I can understand what u might be going through.
Mine is a similar case 630 (V28 ,Q48).
So i am definitely not here to give you any advise.But you can have a look at my post : "Screwed up in actual Gmat (....)"
I have written quite a lot about my preparation and scores in the diff. practice tests i took.
Probably u can have a look and see if we did some mistakes, in common ! :(

Nobody has replied to me as of now ; Lets see what people have to say .
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:55
Ive had a similiar test experience. No one seems to know my case too... Whats happening... I was scoring in the 750+ range. Actual test score was 620. ( 48,27)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 02:00
Thanks guys for your replies!!
Really appreciate since there is little advice given :(
Anyway, i'm thinking of retaking in a month the test.
My goal is to strengthen the Q for a 50 score and try to hit at least 38 in V.
We can exchange tips for the verbal section. Will post useful info here if i find it somewhere else in the forum or in others websites.
Keep the faith!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:13
One thing you might want to look at is your endurance. When the Quant is very high and the verbal is very low, look at the endurance for the test.

When you practiced, did you do the AWA also? That 60 minutes of thinking and analysis is a big factor in draining you. It's like training for a marathon and then adding on 33% of the distance to it. If you do only Quant and Verbal in all of your practice tests, that should take about 2.5 hours or so (75 min x 2), but if you add 60 minutes for the AWA, 60 minutes is a huge percentage of 2.5 hours, so your endurance must be up to par to handle 4 hours (adding in two 10-minute breaks) of intense focus. My first thought is of endurance when someone scores Q47+ and less than 35 on the verbal. The person is obviously very capable, but didn't perform on that particular day. Unfortunately, that's the day that gets recorded.

I scored higher on test prep stuff with MGMAT, Barons, 800Score.com, but I don't count those scores because I didnt' do any AWA with those so it wasn't testing conditions.

What time of day did you take your exam? People think best in the morning. If you took it in the morning, did you eat breakfast before you took it? Eating breakfast gives our body fuel and that helps us think better. If you took it in the afternoon, did you eat a big lunch before? Digesting food can make us sleepy and make it much harder to focus. Lack of breakfast can make us hungry and thus harder to focus when we're hungry.

These are my thoughts. I hope they help you regroup and take it again to get the score you all deserve.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:30
jallenmorris wrote:
One thing you might want to look at is your endurance. When the Quant is very high and the verbal is very low, look at the endurance for the test.

When you practiced, did you do the AWA also? That 60 minutes of thinking and analysis is a big factor in draining you. It's like training for a marathon and then adding on 33% of the distance to it. If you do only Quant and Verbal in all of your practice tests, that should take about 2.5 hours or so (75 min x 2), but if you add 60 minutes for the AWA, 60 minutes is a huge percentage of 2.5 hours, so your endurance must be up to par to handle 4 hours (adding in two 10-minute breaks) of intense focus. My first thought is of endurance when someone scores Q47+ and less than 35 on the verbal. The person is obviously very capable, but didn't perform on that particular day. Unfortunately, that's the day that gets recorded.

I scored higher on test prep stuff with MGMAT, Barons, 800Score.com, but I don't count those scores because I didnt' do any AWA with those so it wasn't testing conditions.

What time of day did you take your exam? People think best in the morning. If you took it in the morning, did you eat breakfast before you took it? Eating breakfast gives our body fuel and that helps us think better. If you took it in the afternoon, did you eat a big lunch before? Digesting food can make us sleepy and make it much harder to focus. Lack of breakfast can make us hungry and thus harder to focus when we're hungry.

These are my thoughts. I hope they help you regroup and take it again to get the score you all deserve.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, jallen!!
I took it in the morning. But what hits me was i felt really confident since i felt good during the Q section (i was waiting at least 49-50). So maybe i was overconfident and that led me to be less rigorous with the V section. Yet i didn't notice it was easier, so i inferred i was having a decent Verbal score! I even thought the GMAC algo software had a bug when i saw the score :lol:
Okay but you are absolutely correct for teh complete process though. I didn't take any of the AWA during my CAT tests because i was short of prep time.
I have already taken an appointment for early September. I will begin to work essentially on the verbal begining this week-end (85 % of my prep) and the challenges for the Quant part.
To be continued.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 13:15
Poullo wrote:
:( :(
I'm so saddened by my score on the verbal!!
Even when practising CATs, my lower score was 31. I was scoring consistenly between 35 and 40.
I was hoping to limit the damage by having 38 in Verbal but 27 i'm devastated!
I need your advices and resources to improve my Verbal towards 40, please!


I had the same problem on verbal; was scoring 39-40 on CATs and scored 34 in the real thing. Still don't understand how this happened.
Anyway, good luck on the retake.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 23:52
businessm wrote:
Poullo wrote:
:( :(
I'm so saddened by my score on the verbal!!
Even when practising CATs, my lower score was 31. I was scoring consistenly between 35 and 40.
I was hoping to limit the damage by having 38 in Verbal but 27 i'm devastated!
I need your advices and resources to improve my Verbal towards 40, please!


I had the same problem on verbal; was scoring 39-40 on CATs and scored 34 in the real thing. Still don't understand how this happened.
Anyway, good luck on the retake.

Thank you and good luck to you also.
Re: I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!!   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2008, 23:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic 630 (Q49, V27) Suggestions on Retake meghak 1 25 Sep 2013, 18:51
650 to 520! Don't know what happened uzzy12 6 02 Jun 2010, 10:01
630 (Q49, V27) Ruby 16 22 Aug 2006, 21:07
630 (Q49 V27)... how to improve my verbal ltm80 5 03 May 2006, 10:01
Don't know what to do....620 - Q48/V27 Antmavel 20 07 Oct 2005, 06:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

I don't know what happened!!! 630 (Q49, V27)!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.