Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I don't know what I should do. Please, give me some advise!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
I don't know what I should do. Please, give me some advise!! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 18:27
Hi.

Before talking about my problem, let me explain my situation and background first.

I used to work at bank as a private wealth manager for three years.
I had to quit the job to follow my husband who decided to pursue the MBA.

It has been almost two years since I came to the States.
For those two years, I've preapred to apply to the MBA.

1. I took GMAT, and my score is 710.
2. I took TOEFL, and my score is 107.
3. I tokk CFA up to level two.
4. I went to community college to learn English and accounting.
5. I am looking for volunteer work now.

However, the problem is that for now, I am not sure where I will live.
My husband is looking for a job now, mostly aiming for the ones either in Hong-Kong or Singapore.
But we could end up in the States or go back to Korea. ( We are Korean.)

The bottom line is I don't know where I will live, so I am not sure where I can apply.

I don't think it is a good idea to wait for another one year since I haven't worked two years. (I heard B-schools don't like "not working")

My husband told me to apply to every school in Hong-Kong, Singapore or Chicago ( I are living in Chicago.), but I am not sure it is a good idea.
To apply to the MBA, I have to put a lot of afforts and time.
I am not sure I should put that much energy on schools I could not go.

I can't find anybody who has been through the same expeience, so can't get any advise.

I really don't know what I should do.......
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I don't know what I should do. Please, give me some advise!! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 13:58
Tough one, with no correct answers.

my advice would be to probably wait for another year and pick up something in the mean while. applying to a whole lot of schools is not feasible.
but if you are absolutely sure, you don't want to wait, prioritize schools on location - where your husband can land up. Select 1/2 (based on your chances) from each geography and go for them.

and oh btw, you should still have a solid story for the 2 yr gap.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: I don't know what I should do. Please, give me some advise!! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
I think that's pretty tough. If you really have no idea where you're going to be, I think you should wait. Applying to business school take a lot of time & money, as you mention and there's no sense in applying to a school that you can't attend.

The other thing I will say is that perhaps you can speak with your husband about supporting your endeavors now. You say you quit your job so you could support him, so maybe you two can mutually decide on a city so that you'll know where you'll be and you can move forward with your plans. Obviously you know your husband the best, but from an objective standpoint, it seems like it's only fair that it's your turn now.
Re: I don't know what I should do. Please, give me some advise!!   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2012, 11:09