Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: I dont have to complete the AWA sections. Any suggestions.. [#permalink]
I would still do the AWA. Just because they don't use it as part of their official evaluation criteria, doesn't mean they won't think you're a jackass for straight up ignoring it.

If you're worried about burn-out, just don't spend as much effort on the AWA. Personally I only took about 10-15 minutes on each AWA, and spent some of the leftover time trying to relax.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Grundl wrote:
mohater wrote:
Why don't you have to complete the AWA? Why would you throw away something that the school might use to benchmark you against other candidates?

The school simply doesnt use it. They require essays as a part the application, so they have a sample of my writing. This program obviously isnt as competitive as a top tier school.

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I'm considering not completing it is due to the fact the admissions folks told me not to waste my time with it.

So, IF, you were to not complete them, would you use some of that time to jot stuff down? I'm not just going to sit there for the entire time, maybe just use a few minutes to calm any nerves.

Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
While the previous two members make a good point, I see that you have already made up your mind.

I would certainly take a few moments to get used to the surroundings and relax. Inspect the marker and perhaps jot down a few helpful things. After the AWA section, make sure to take the break. Go to the bathroom, freshen up, eat or drink something, and stretch. Even if you think this is not necessary, please do it anyway.

You really don't want to get too intense here, since that energy will be needed later on in the test.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
While the previous two members make a good point, I see that you have already made up your mind.

I would certainly take a few moments to get used to the surroundings and relax. Inspect the marker and perhaps jot down a few helpful things. After the AWA section, make sure to take the break. Go to the bathroom, freshen up, eat or drink something, and stretch. Even if you think this is not necessary, please do it anyway.

You really don't want to get too intense here, since that energy will be needed later on in the test.

Thanks! The considerate response is appreciated. I didnt plan on taking the break, but I definitely will now.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
I would do a couple of things. First, write down the grid for Data Sufficiency questions (BD ACE or AD BCE) to cross over the options as you consider them. In a separate sheet of the laminated board they give you, I'd write down ABCDE for the Verbal Section. I was used to cross over the options that are not right in SC, CR and RC. I'd write besides those 41 questions some acronyms that I need, for example, the checklist for SC, the different types of CR questions and few things useful for RC. All of them I got them from the Veritas Prep books and were quite useful.
For the Quant Section though, when you write down stuff, do it on the side, leaving enough space to use as scrap for calculations. You don't want to use up half page and turn over the pages to check what you need all the time.

Just curious: Are you applying to only one school? The AWA section is easy, so you may reconsider your decision and do it. In case you later need to apply to a second school, you don't need to retake the exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cano wrote:
I would do a couple of things. First, write down the grid for Data Sufficiency questions (BD ACE or AD BCE) to cross over the options as you consider them. In a separate sheet of the laminated board they give you, I'd write down ABCDE for the Verbal Section. I was used to cross over the options that are not right in SC, CR and RC. I'd write besides those 41 questions some acronyms that I need, for example, the checklist for SC, the different types of CR questions and few things useful for RC. All of them I got them from the Veritas Prep books and were quite useful.
For the Quant Section though, when you write down stuff, do it on the side, leaving enough space to use as scrap for calculations. You don't want to use up half page and turn over the pages to check what you need all the time.

Just curious: Are you applying to only one school? The AWA section is easy, so you may reconsider your decision and do it. In case you later need to apply to a second school, you don't need to retake the exam.

Thanks cano.

Yes, I'm only applying to one school. And thats a good point, but I dont foresee that I'll be applying to another school. Since test day tomorrow, I'm probably going to stick with not completing it.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [1]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Interesting situation..... never heard of this. Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
hi Grundi.. its your test day so wishing you good luck!!

For other who replied: I wanted to ask that is it not that one has to handover the sheets after AWA section and will get new sheets before Quant section starts (also also handover sheets at the end of Quant & beginning of Verbal)? I am not aware as to when we are required to hand back the sheets, pls share more info on this as it would be handy to jot down a few things in the last 5-10 mins of AWA section. thanks!
GMAT Club Bot