Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I encountered with two questions 1. The number of stray dogs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 0 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

I encountered with two questions 1. The number of stray dogs [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 05:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I encountered with two questions

1. The number of stray dogs picked up in Ford City last year by the city's dog catchers was fifty percent lower than the previous year's figure. The Mayor of Ford City attributed this decline to the city's recent crackdown on unlicensed breeders that breed dogs dangerously fast and release any unwanted puppies on the streets. Over a dozen operators of these so called "puppy farms" have been incarcerated over the last year in Ford City.

Each of the following, if true, could weaken the Mayor's conclusion that the decline in the number of stray dogs picked up by the city's dog catchers is due to the crackdown on "puppy farms" EXCEPT:

A. Agange City, located right next to Ford City, also experienced a fifty percent decline in the number of stray dogs caught on its streets by its dog catchers, but did not engage in a crackdown on puppy farms in that city.

B. Ford City cut the budget for dog catching one year ago, forcing the firing of over half of the Dog Catching Department's staff.

C.The past winter was bitterly cold in Ford City, causing many unprotected stray animals to perish.

D. One year ago, a privately funded organization began rounding up stray dogs in Ford City and putting them up for adoption on the internet.

E. Ford City already had tough laws to punish operators of "puppy farms" long before the most recent year.

Here A is wrong because the condition of Ford city compared with some other independent city.May be there is some other factor which could affect that city.

2. Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler, a North American songbird that migrates each fall to coffee plantations in South America, is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that formerly was a feature of most South American coffee plantations.

Scott: The population of the spruce budworm, the warbler's favourite prey in North America, has been dropping. This is a more likely explanation of the warbler's decline.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls Scott's hypothesis into question?

A. The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining
B. The spruce budworm population has dropped because of a disease that can infect budworms but not Tennessee warblers
C. The drop in the population of the spruce budworm is expected to only be temporary
D. Many Tennessee warblers have begun migrating in the fall to places other than traditional coffee plantations
E. Although many North American songbirds have declined in numbers, no other species has experienced as great a decline as has the Tennessee warbler

But here OA is A where condition of Tennessee warbler is compared with Baltimore oriole. How can we justify contradictions in both cases.
I encountered with two questions 1. The number of stray dogs   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2012, 05:15