Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I feel gross

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

I feel gross [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 13:46
So there's only a few weeks left in my first quarter in b-school and I honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to keep doing this for ~ another 2 years! On the nights I have class, I'm in class until 10 pm. On the nights I don't have class, I'm studying. On the weekends I'm meeting with my group (we had a lovely 6 1/2 hr. marathon session last Sunday), working on projects, studying, and/or doing homework. I haven't been to the gym in 2 months (although I'm totally trying to count lugging my 50 pound bookbag around campus as a workout), I haven't cleaned my house in about a month (luckily DH has at least kept up on the dishes and laundry so we're not totally living in filth), I haven't been out with my friends in a month, I don't get enough sleep, I'm constantly stressed out about tests and projects, I'm getting distracted at work, etc., etc.

Granted, since I'm in the PT program I don't have to worry about internships like all of you, but will someone PLEASE tell me it either gets easier or you're able to adjust after a while? Pretty please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 14:31
Well I cant relate to the part time program - I am in full time. But I can tell you that after you get a handle on things it does get easier. There will always be a ton of work, but you will get better at getting through it.

Part time sounds like it is quite a challenge.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 14:51
things definitely got better for me when this semester started. I down-sized my credit load and it made an enormous help. Getting out the core is helpful too - you can pick a mix of classes that are better.

Everyone says the first year is the worst and that by the second year it's way calmer. I hear ya, though. I thought I was just gonna fall over and die last semester. It's definitely rough - but keep at it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 15:23
Thanks for the support everyone! I just needed to vent to someone who would understand what I'm going through right now. :)
Quote:
Getting out the core is helpful too - you can pick a mix of classes that are better.

I cannot wait to be done with my core classes! I know that an understanding of stats, finance, etc. is helpful in any area of business that you work in, but the quant classes are definitely my weak point and are causing me the most stress. Plus, I always think that it is less stressful when you're taking classes that you are genuinely interested in, no matter the amount of work involved. :-D
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
I've been meaning to make a "reality check" post for the class of 2010 but haven't had time. This is one of the big big subjects I thought needed to be addressed. We have all heard that MBAs are demanding, but in all fairness, its been harder than I expected and more demanding than I expected.

Today is one of the few days in the last two months I've "dedicated" to my wife - and even so, in the back of my mind is the laundry list of things I need to do: catch up on 200 pages of accounting, do 30-40 problems, read 4 cases, begin work on final projects.... etc.

The truth of the matter is that it has been tough for me too - last quarter was fairly manageable -- but this quarter, with recruiting layered in, there have been more than one time that I've felt like crying / screaming / pulling my hair out / quitting.

In any case, I was planning on making a post that detailed (and quantified) what this quarter was like - average number of interviews per week, average number of unbooked hours in a 12 hour day on my calendar -- things that could describe, qualitatively and quantitatively what it is like.. if anyone else wants to help me put the post together, I'd welcome different insights.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 09:29
I can chip in, probably alongside Peli, for the more "early" recruiting. Last semester was hard, and at numerous points looked like it would cost me my relationship. Now things are easing up, but there are so many things looking to take up my time.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: I feel gross [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 10:33
rhyme, looking forward to your insights. Though could I suggest that you post the statistics of your schedule *and* the statistics of an "average" person's schedules side by side? We all know you are a bit of an overachiever (30+ internship applications is a bit much, don't you think? :P), hee hee :wink:

I do want to thank all the 2009-ers for their insights on B-school life over the past quarter/semester. It has definitely helped me (and probably many of us 2010-ers) understand why B-school is crazy and demanding. I'm looking forward to starting school with both excitement and fear right now, haha. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: I feel gross   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2008, 10:33