Joined: 25 Dec 2011
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
, given: 0
I feel like I'm on the bubble [#permalink]
26 Jun 2012, 20:00
My details (pasted this from a separate forum post):
1) 37, male, American, Caucasian
2) A.A. in general business. GPA: 3.9. B.A. in journalism and mass communications from a state school. GPA: 3.84 (graduated summa cum laude). GMAT from this past March: 710 (Q44/V42, AWA 5.5).
3) I graduated in December '04, so I entered the workforce full-time in January '05. After bouncing around a few different lines of work, including broadcast journalism and general web content development, I've pursued web marketing for around four years now, specializing in search engine optimization. Thing is, I've definitely bounced around: I'm now on my sixth employer. In two of those jobs, including my prior position, I was laid off (seriously - not fired). However, I believe I can point to a steady progression over the last three to four years: web content coordinator, SEO content strategist, SEO specialist, and now Internet marketing manager, where I started just a couple of weeks ago.
4) I have been very active in my faith (LDS Christian - Mormon). I've served in a range of volunteer positions, including Sunday school teacher and choir director. I'm presently in a leadership position in a Spanish-language congregation. Yes, I speak fluent Spanish, along with moderate Brazilian Portuguese.
5) Post-MBA I want to pursue either corporate marketing to apply my Internet marketing expertise, or general strategic planning, probably first as a consultant, then in-house corporate. Geography: I'd like to work abroad, especially in Latin America.
6) I applied third round at Stanford in the spring. Got dinged of course, but I don't regret applying at all; I think it was a good first attempt. This time around I'm thinking Stanford, Dartmouth, Harvard and University of Texas.
Bottom line is this: if I'm going to do an MBA, I really only want to attend a top-ranked school. I feel like my profile is good, but not great. Realistically, do I have a shot at any of the schools on my list? How much will my work experience harm me? I know it's ultra-competitive, so by all means tell me what I can do to have the strongest possible application. Thanks!