Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I feel so stupid, I didn't have my passport and she didn't

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I feel so stupid, I didn't have my passport and she didn't [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2006, 17:51
let me in.

I was all prepared for exam, scoring above 700 in practice tests.
I had recently moved to Albuquerque for new job but I came to New york to give test, as my wife is still here.
I am still not citizen but have been here for more than 10 years, didn't occurr to me that they would need passport. Didn't read the brochure completely, just browsed and saw they needed one form of ID. And when I came to New york I realized from the email that they sent me that I needed passport, and it was the morning of the test, when I was taking directions to test center.
My passport was in Albuquerque and there was no way I could get it. I explained to her but she didn't let me in (receptionist). Being a saturday I could not talk to anybody in GMAC.
Does any body know that if this happens could I retake the test in less than 30 days, I want to take it on Oct 7th in Albuquerque.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2006, 20:52
That's really unfortunate. When I was at the test center waiting to take my exam, I actually saw them turning a woman away because her driver's license showed her maiden name, and she registered for her test under her married name.

I believe that you can re-register to take the test right away, but you will have to pay the fee again. I would suggest checking with GMAC to make sure. Good luck.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 03:58
It looks like that GMAC is making tons of money just refusing candidates on these trivial basis.

One day my wife was flying and she didn't have her license with her , forget passport, (we both are not yet citizens), they let her on the flight with a credit card that had her photo ( and this is last year, I mean post 9/11)

I guess GMAC is afraid that these non citizens can get a fruad license and some body else can appear for their test, otherwise I don't see any logic.
A non citizen can not get a license without passport.
And they should consider that and not turn them away and break their hearts.

Also in the email , they should bold the part where it says passport and it should appear in beginning of email rather than towards the end

What a total waste, the only siliver lining is that I get some more time to practice.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 04:03
well hey even a citizen can get a fruad license

so why discriminate between citizens and non citizens, why not check their passpots also. Some thing has to be done for this.

I guess I can not really fight with them regarding this since they might just refuse to give me the test again. (or ever)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 08:30
Sorry to hear about your issue. It is very disappointing to prepare for everything but be denied access due to a technicality.
Although it might seem unfair, there is very little we can do in this scenario. I know its easy for me to say this, but avoid getting agitated over this, forget it and move on with your preparation for the next attempt.
Moving forward and letting go is the only way. As for the fairness of these rules, thats a topic for another day.

Good luck/
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 09:35
jainan24 wrote:
well hey even a citizen can get a fruad license

so why discriminate between citizens and non citizens, why not check their passpots also. Some thing has to be done for this.

I guess I can not really fight with them regarding this since they might just refuse to give me the test again. (or ever)

I believe the difference is that US citizens do not need a passport to be in the country, so requiring a passport of US citizens would mean that some people would have to apply for their passports. On the other hand, non-US citizens must have a passport to enter the country.

I still think it s a silly rule, but like Haas_mba07 said, try not to let it bother you. You will only do your best on the exam if your mind is free and clear.
  [#permalink] 24 Sep 2006, 09:35