Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I fought the gmat and the gmat won -

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

I fought the gmat and the gmat won - [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 22:36
i just took the GMAT today for the 3rd time since November. The exciting news was my math went up from 17 to 36, but my verbal went down from 33 to 24! I just don't get it. If my verbal would have stayed at the 33, I believe I would have had my 550, but it didn’t work quite that way! Anyhow, my overall score was 510 and I need at least a 550. I should be happy, because I took the test about a month ago and got a 440, but it was disappointing, to not yet be where I need to be. I have been working so hard and sacrificing so much of my life for studying.

I really don't know what else to do. I have taken 2 PowerScore weekend classes and have worked with a math tutor. Obviously, the math tutor helped tremendously! I have bought and worked through several prep books and have also bought GMAT Power Pill. Although, it apparently didn't help since my verbal score went down. I am looking into the Knewton program, but am hesitant to fork out more money for yet another test program. They are so new and have very little data about their results.

I work full time, have 3 kids, and have been studying aggressively since August! I have done my best and have fallen short. I am just at a point where I feel like I have done all I can and I have no clue what to do for the next steps. Giving up is not an option!

I should add that I have been sorely disappointed with the lack of follow up with PowerScore and GMAT Pill. The GMAT pill guy never even answered my emails, even though he promises he will get back with questions. PowerScore sometimes gets back with questions and sometime does not. I can't move forward with my doctorate (I already have my MBA) until I get my score up. I just don't know what to do, which program to pick, where to get help. I guess I just have to lick my wounds, pray for direction, and study some more. If anyone has been in a similar boat and has any suggestions that have worked for you, I’d love to hear your story.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Re: I fought the gmat and the gmat won - [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hei, don't be discouraged. It's really hard to stay on the steay study regiment. Job, kids and other stuff make it exponentially harder. Believe me. Being in the same boat myself, I totally understand.

I would suggest you take some time off. May be a few weeks. Then make another package of prep materials. The package should at least include:
1. All 8 Manhattan GMAT strategy guides.
2. OG 12, OG Verbal, OG Quant.
3. 4 GMAT Prep Tests
4. 6 Manhattan Prep Tests (Free wih the books).
5. GMAT Club Tests.

Give yourself about two months to study consistently for 2/3 hours on weekdays and 4/5 on weekends.
Your schedule should look like this:

1. Two weeks of thorough review (Manhattan Series) including the end of the chapter questions, online flash cards and the Q Banks. They are neat.
2. Then your first GMAT Prep to guage your improvement.
3. That point on, about 50-60 OG questions (start from the end - hardest to the easiest).
4. Take at least one test a week.

With this prescription, you're bound to get close to 700, not just 550.

Listen, I know it's not your ability that's in question here. It's the amount and quality of time you can devote to your study that's the issue. Our heart and brains are literally split in a number of ways. So, please don't call it quits yet. You haven't been able to give it your best shot. Try one more time and try to do it the right way. Instead of pouring in money into prep classes, you may want to invest in child care - sitters for when you study on the weekdays and weekdays.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: I fought the gmat and the gmat won - [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:26
PHDGMAT2009 wrote:
Then make another package of prep materials. The package should at least include:
1. All 8 Manhattan GMAT strategy guides.
2. OG 12, OG Verbal, OG Quant.
3. 4 GMAT Prep Tests
4. 6 Manhattan Prep Tests (Free wih the books).
5. GMAT Club Tests.

Good advice, IMO this is the best package of study materials going. I would only add an LSAT prep test book if you want some real hard CR/RC to practice with.

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: I fought the gmat and the gmat won - [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:27
Oh, and the two weeks to get through all the MGMAT guides is too quick IMO... give yourself 4-5 weeks if you want to be thorough.

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Re: I fought the gmat and the gmat won -   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2010, 11:27