Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I got 13 books published: Does experience as a writer count? [#permalink]
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

You have a very interesting profile, your writing experiences and accomplishments would certainly help. Research about the target schools, show how you would fit and contribute as a part of the student and alumni community.

With your writing background, I believe you will be able to present strong applications to your target programs.

Regarding the GMAT, getting a higher score would help. If you are unable to do so, you may play up more analytical and quantitative responsibilities, such as handling budgets, doing feasibility studies, or excelling in quant courses.

Wish you all the best and looking forward to your updates!

I will do more research and finalize my target schools list. I have done a few quantitative tasks (analytical reports, budgeting, etc) during my 1.5 year of marketing so I will make sure they acknowledge that also.

Thank you so much for your feedback. It does help a lot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:

Hi nnmn

- You certainly do bring in diversity and that will help. The publications you have will certainly count as well and get you a lot of credit.
- We understand that you have already taken the GMAT plenty of times now, but if you can raise that score by 30-40 points, you will be doing yourself a huge favor. Your academics and professional experience look decent, so the GMAT may play the spoiler here.
- If you can prepare good apps (writing is in fact your forte!), Sauder and Schulich in Canada could be doable. Ivey and Rotman will be stretches, but still possibilities. In Asia, NUS will be iffy with your current GMAT, while NTU could be possible.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Thank you so much GyanOne. I guess I will take the risk applying to Rotman and Ivey but I will definitely also apply to the doable ones. I'm practicing hard and hope to score higher on GMAT next time though...

Your opinion helps a lot. Thanks again for your help. Have a good day.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Hi nnmn,

My opinion is slightly different.

You aren’t too off from the median/ average GMAT scores of your target schools. For example, Rotman has 665 and Ivey, 655 as their median/ average scores. Moreover, you’ve an above average GPA and, as you mentioned, you’ve dirtied your hands with some bit of Quant in your work. And your diverse profile really works in your favor.

Given these, I think you’re good to go even if you don’t improve your score. (Rotman, for example, loves people with solid writing skills. They put more than usual emphasis on AWA score.)

Your writing work is really impressive, and these are the kind of deep interests B-schools are impressed with. Moreover, it provides strong credibility to your career goal of content business. Equally important, however, is to demonstrate a strong career progression (impact at work, promotion, responsibilities etc.) especially when you’ve a short workex. Last, research the schools well and interact with them to show a strong fit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
99Colleges wrote:
Hi nnmn,

My opinion is slightly different.

You aren’t too off from the median/ average GMAT scores of your target schools. For example, Rotman has 665 and Ivey, 655 as their median/ average scores. Moreover, you’ve an above average GPA and, as you mentioned, you’ve dirtied your hands with some bit of Quant in your work. And your diverse profile really works in your favor.

Given these, I think you’re good to go even if you don’t improve your score. (Rotman, for example, loves people with solid writing skills. They put more than usual emphasis on AWA score.)

Your writing work is really impressive, and these are the kind of deep interests B-schools are impressed with. Moreover, it provides strong credibility to your career goal of content business. Equally important, however, is to demonstrate a strong career progression (impact at work, promotion, responsibilities etc.) especially when you’ve a short workex. Last, research the schools well and interact with them to show a strong fit.

Thanks so much 99Colleges. Your reply comes in just a bit too late. I have just registered for the next GMAT. I guess I will try my best on this retake. If I cannot get good scores yet, I will just put more of my time on to my building good applications now.

Glad to know that Toronto takes AWA part in consideration. I got 6 on it so I hope this will help.

Your comment is so helpful to me. Thank you so much and have a good day.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Well, 6 is no surprise. Good luck with your retake.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
nnmn wrote:
Dear experts,

I'm 24 years old, got a degree in humanites with 3.7 gpa (first class honour and rank 3rd of the class) 1 year exchange in US. at North Carolina State University
and...

- since I was in high school, I wrote a few books (novel) and get them published. So far I have 13 books published, a few of which made to top 50 of my country chart. I was a consultant for my publisher in one of their annual contests also.

- 1.5 year full time professional experience as a marketing in an international tech startup company (with 1 promotion). It would be 2 years by the time school starts.

- along the side of my full-time experience, I also helped out with family business. We do fashion and I initiated rebranding the 20 year-old brand we have and sold the products online.

- GMAT 650 - I will retake but it's my 3rd attempt already. I'm pretty nervous.

With writing experience, I have 5 years experience but I doubt if they would count as I was doing it along with my study although it's completely professional and I got paid the same rate as those who do full time. I think that labeling it as part time might devalue the experience but I do understand that it's not weighted as heavily as professional after graduating experience.

My goal is to start my own business that is also content related.

I'm applying for the top schools in Canada (Rotman, Ivey, Sauder,etc) and also some of the top schools in Asia. (NUS, NTU)

I have 2 questions
1. Do I have any chance to get into the schools of my goal? I know that my gmat and years of experience are a bit below average for some of the schools I'm applying. I think my diversity (woman-art-from Sounteast Asia) should be a plus on my application but I'm not quite sure how I should put all the things together.
2. Worst case is to change my target schools or apply next year. Do you have any suggestions for schools I should consider?

Thank you so much and may god bless anyone who has read through here. I wish you a happy day.I think you could have a really interesting profile and any time a candidate can rise to a premier level in something- whether writing or sports or entrepreneurship- anything that is unusual- it will absolutely get you a second look from ADCOMS. sounds like you are retaking GMAT and I encourage you to relax as you take it and trust that you will improve in this next attempt. Even without improvement- you have some interesting things in your background that I do think will catch the attention of schools. Good luck to you!

GMAT Club Bot